cumberland city skippies

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by getthenet, Feb 14, 2008.

1. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    hi guys thinking about taking a ride down to cumberland city the weekend of the 23rd 24th to spend the day catching skips are they still in there ? can i still catch them on a curly tail jig or do i need to buy some sabiki rigs. if so what size and color do i need to buy. hey thanks

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You should be able to catch them on a series of lead head jigs just fine. Recently the skips have really enjoyed green jigs and white jigs. I have also seen some people using red/white combo. The sabaki rig works, but for the most part I have caught mine on lead heads. I attach 3 or 4 of them about 6 inches apart and place a small weight at the end of my line for distance and keep them from getting tangled. The water is high and muddy right now whick will limit your success, but the weather is supposed to cooperate through monday so by saturday evening/sunday it may begin to clear up. If it does they should be hitting like crazy since the catch has been real slow since the water come up. Good luck

3. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey thanks ill be down there next weekend get there early sat morning fish till sundy afternoon

4. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    how much weight do you put at the bottom of your jighead rigs

5. Lookin for skipper

Lookin for skipper New Member

State:
    ohio
    C u down there ill be there too Sat day morn

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Just use a crappie jig head with a white curly tail. Also if you have any small spoon lures try them. My best lure so far has been treble hooks with bass skirts tied on, two of them about 8 inches apart followed by a small bell weight. I filled up a small freezer using that lure setup and the curly tail jigs.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It looks like that is a long drive for you, you might want to check out the KY guys, I know somebody else was looking for skips and they said you might be better off in KY and might save a buck or two in gas.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I went down and tested it for you Ohio boys and the skips are doing pretty good. the water is beginning to clear up, but it is still real high. I caught about 25-30 in an hour so its not bad. You have to get out there pretty far, as normal white and green were the jigs of choice.

9. Lookin for skipper

Lookin for skipper New Member

State:
    ohio
    I went down this Sat day and caught a whole 55 gallon drum full they were hitten decent but only on one bait a white jig head with a 2 and 1/2 inch sassy shad or a green crappie jig. every onece in a while they would hit white on white crappie jig. Good time

10. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Hey I'm going to Cumberland City this weekend for some skip jacks. Is any one going out there?

Orrin

11. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    im going to be down there the 28,29 had to work this weekend