Cumberland City/ Cheatham Dam

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Aug 27, 2008.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone tried for skips at C city lately? I was thinkin about making a trip up there this week. Or cheatham dam. Haven't had any around old hick for months. Thanks

2. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    the only place i found skippies is yellowcreek,wellscreek. and that is all.man if u tried to call im sorry been out of town and my new phone will be here today

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Talked to a buddy of mine the other day in Gallatin,Tn. He's been catching skips on Old Hickory....over at the intake to the steamplant. Not the discharge, but the intake, where the water comes under the skimmer wall and on the inside it comes under the wall and is very cooler water being drawn from deep under the wall. Catching big skips at first light and last light . Mornings and afternoons. Occasional stripers as well as nice flatheads and channels. Good Luck:big_smile:

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I am going to give that a try then. I let u know how it goes. Do u know what there using for jigs.

thanks

5. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    c/cat we were the stem plant at c/city and no skipe as of yesterday
    shad is on the wall some babbies and some 3" long some a little larger
    But that was it

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I am sure everyone is wanting to find them right now before they go where ever the go for the winter. I am going to hit up the steam plant tomorrow and see what we can catch. I will give everyone the up date.

7. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    We make our own skipjack rigs.....tying on three crappie jigs with hair. Starting with a very small one then second one a little bigger and the third one even a little bigger. This keeps them from tangling up so much. Spaced about 1 foot apart. White, chartruese, even pink sometimes. Let them sink deep in the intake channel and try different speed retrieves. Good Luck!:big_smile:

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats what I usually do, I know sometimes it has to be a sabiki rig and other times its got to be a neon fuzzy jig.

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I wanted to add that we always use the fuzzy rigs that we tie ourselves. We never have the need to catch a large number of skipjacks...usually just catching what is needed for the bait that day. In this area, never have a problem catching bait for the day. However, I have seen the time in the winter, when no one could catch a skipjack and when someone did, they were selling for as much as 1.00 each. One time when no bait could be caught in January.... I found a frozen skipjack laying on the bank, that was in pretty bad shape.I cut the head off and fished with it. I casted it out and it never hit the bottom , fish on and landed 37 lb Striper. So , then I put on the tail and fished it, moments later landed 25 lb Striper. So I was through for the day and never caught the first skipjack, but had 2 good ones. Sometimes when there is less bait in the water, it increases your chances of catching a good one.:big_smile: