Cuddy cabin

Discussion in 'Boating' started by droptine77, Jul 12, 2008.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Any of you guys own a Cuddy cabin? I know a guy who has one fairly resonable and was wondering how they fished. I would imagine they would be nice for 2 or 3 day trip to santee! Any advice?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If it's a walk-around cuddy, it's worth a look. Access to the foredeck is critical, and if it's one of the older designs that require you to go through the cabin or over/around the windshield, I'd take a pass.

In either case, if you anticipate overnighting in the cabin, look closely at ventilation and screening. Cuddies can be "close."

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Depends on the size of the boat and the cuddy.
    Most cuddys get used as a junk room more then anything else.
    Try sleeping in one in the summer or the winter:big_smile:

I like some cuddys but if I was buying it with the intentions of sleeping on it I would definately invest in one of those drop in AC's.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Interesting, I just bought one this week (cheap) and I think I am going to abandon the Bass Boat project in favor of it.

Gonna sacrifice fuel mileage and speed but....I was looking at having a place to nap after that "one too many beers", maybe a place to snuggle with the wife, and a place to get out of the rain without having to put up covers.

For sure I will get much more freeboard, storage, and hopefully comfort.

Heat and cold will be a challenge but I figure but fans, insulation and maybe some shiny window tint might help with the heat, but being an outboard, cold might be a bit more difficult. I will have to come up with something for that. Suggestions will be welcomed!!

As a matter of fact, the cabin needs redone so any suggestions on that will be welcome as well!!

I am thinking maybe those panels they use for shower stalls???? Or????

A pic of the new ( to me) cat boat...

Attached Files:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That will be a great project! What kind/size is the boat, Lawrence?

As far as panelling goes, you're on the right track, because mold/mildew can be a problem. I would look for something that incorporates a thin sheet of foam to control temp extremes and condensation ...you may end up laminating your own panels. Another possibility for insulation is that foil/bubble wrap/poly stuff...easy to use, especially in small, irregular places.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds good ,staying dry !!!!!!!!!!

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Dave, She's 19 ft and listed on the title as a "Smoker Craft" though I have yet to find one on the net under that name. Perhaps she was sold under a "Doing Business As"? I have noticed that now-a-days Smoker Craft sells under several different names.

On the spots that this matters, it looks like I am going to have about 1/2 inch to work with, as far as insulation goes, without losing the original internal dimensions.
    Was thinking rigid foam panels and fill any small gaps with expanding foam.(Great Stuff) I am concerned about condensation, but am at a loss as to what else can be done. (with in the budget)

"...foil/bubble wrap/poly stuff.."

Ok, I am lost. Do you have a link to what you are speaking of??

I also like the "shower panel" idea on account of weight. With the top weight the cabin adds, I suspect she will have a tendency to "roll" a bit more than I am used to so I figure the less I have to add to it, the better.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't understand why you didn't find anything on the web; I got over 94,000 hits. Here's a link to their homepage; maybe you can find your boat model there:

http://www.smokercraft.com/

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Here's one kind...there appear to be several variations on this idea. The stuff is like a blanket, and well w/in your 1/2" limitation.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=13358-56291-13358&lpage=none

As far as heat goes, I'm at a loss, not because there aren't plenty of small heaters out there, but because propane is such a dangerous thing on boats. Is that an i/o? If it is, an inboard engine is a potential ignition source for combustable fumes. Be careful.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Is that an i/o? "

Nope, she's an outboard.
    With an inboard, I could just plumb up a heater core of some sort but no such luck here.

That insulation kinda looks like what you can use to insulate a garage door.
    Just my luck, I am headed to Lowes today but my local store is out of stock! LOL!

11. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    You and your wife will enjoy. I have a 22' Sylvan Cuddy and my wife and I have really enjoyed it. It looks very similar to your new boat. We have made several long trips on it--Santee to Beaufort and Conway to Beaufort for example. When taking trips on the inter-coastal waterway we dock and get a motel room but we stay overnight on it when fishing. Be sure and get a porta-potti for your wife and she will be very happy with the boat.

You mention fuel and speed. My Sylvan is of course also aluminum hull with a 200HP Mercury on it and it's great on fuel and has a top speed of 55. We have been caught in some bad weather and rough water (Charleston Harbor, St. Helena Sound, Lake Moultrie) and it pulled us through.

Good luck with your project!

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    For cooling, consider those little 12v fans. They cost less than $10 @ WM, and only draw .8 amps. I have used them for years in campers and tents, with good success.

13. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana

14. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    nice looking boat, put in a keg and you'll have it made. with a cuddy you will it will be easy to keep warm in the winter, You can pick up a Mr heater propane heater with a small tank. We use them duckhunting and they will drive you out of the blind. also if get a co alarm if you use one. We even cook using a camp stove. Just mind that there is fule on board. in the summer if you fish at nights it will be staying warm. it gets cool on the water. Also i use a single burner propane lamp as my stern light insted of using my electric stern light. when at anchor on the water by law you need to have a 360 degree stern nav light on. unless you are anchored in a slip. good luck on your new boat

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "put in a keg and you'll have it made."

LOL! That is what the cabin will be good for, those "after Keg" naps!

"Looks new"

Well, the picture makes her look a bit better, but it is not too far off.

"My Sylvan is of course also aluminum hull with a 200HP Mercury on it and it's great on fuel and has a top speed of 55."

Encouraging words! I will be swapping out for the older (but low hours) carborated Evinrude 115 off of the bass boat project so I will probably go a bit slower and use a bit more fuel but I was expecting worse and you have given me hope!

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    BTW Travis, is your Sylvan a "Smoker Craft"? I know "SC" sells boats under that name.

I would love to see a Picture of her.

17. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Keep the 200 hp mercury on it larry!

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The 200 belongs to Travis. Mine came with an 80.

According to the tag (I just found it, it had been relocated) she is only good for a 140.

And she was sold as a Sylvan, but I still have yet to find a picture of another one.

19. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    My digital camera is on the blink so I couldn't send a photo of mine. This is a link to a 1989 Sylvan 22' cuddy. It is identical to mine except I have a 200hp Mercury and this boat has I/O. My boat is like new and motor only has 239 hours on it.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-Sylvan-offshore-93462376

My Sylvan was made by Sylvan. It was a spin off from Starcraft. Starcraft had a falling out and a few of their top people left and founded Sylvan. I don't know if Sylvan survived or was bought out.

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the Pic! If she looks like that, you have a right sharp boat!

That one looks similar to mine, but I guess most of that type do.
    The "dash board" on the helm side(I only have one dash left on this boat) appears identical in shape.
    I reckon mine has been "redone" at least once, but the dash seems to be original.

As far as the "Sylvan", perhaps there were two companies using the name? The title says Smoker Craft, the plate on the boat says Sylvan. Mine is a 1981, yours a 1989 under the same name.
    A bit of Skullduggery in my boat's past?? I have no clue, but would be interested to find out.