Cub Cadet Mowers

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Philiagorillia, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im just curious to see what everone thinks about them, i need me a new push mower and i have narrowed it down to a cub cadet or a troybilt, cant afford a john deere one...

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well all I can tell ya is I am still mowing with the 1440 I bought in 86 I think (somewhere in that area) I have no problems with them, older models anyway :wink:

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would go with Troy Bilt, I have used them both but the Troy Bilt lasted longer, but we got a riding lawn mower now so thats how i cut the grass now.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    get a ariens check ebay:big_smile::cool2:

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have owned a bunch of Cub Cadets, all riders, and one full size Cub. I had me a regular Cub Cadet junk yard going. LOL After 20+ years I figured it out. They are not all that great.

2 years ago I picked up a Bolens with a 17 hp Kohler, pretty good mower, built great. This spring I picked up an Ingersoll/Case 20 hp Onan and it is built real well.

My wife likes John Deere's because her dad had an old 60 when she was growing up. With that in mind, I have made up mine that John Deere green will never be on my place. Not that they are not good tractors, I just want to aggravate the wife. lol

The old Cubs were built pretty good, but when I got them, they were about wore out. The newer riders have gear cases Made in China. Grrrrrrrr:angry:

Make sure you know where all the parts were made.

If you are just looking for a push mower, heck get what's on sale. My wife wanted a trim mower a few years ago. Meijers had an 18" one for about a hundred. It has a 3.5 Tecumseh motor, set speed, no throttle adjustment, just a cheapy. Heck it works great for what we wanted. No complaints with it, always starts 1 st pull. I don't think it even has a choke, just one of those plastic bubble things you pump.

If you have a lot of grass to mow, get a rider. Those self propelled ones wear out after a few years if you are mowing a lot.

Years ago, we had self propelled ones, leave the house with the mower and a 2 gallon gas can. And get ready to walk. lol Even the real expensive ones would wear out in a couple years. They did not like 3 gallons of gas a week going threw them. lol

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have a Cub Cadet z-turn with the 22hp Kohler engine and it's built very well.
    I don't know that much about their push mowers but if you can find something with a Kohler engine, you can bet it will last as long as you keep the oil changed and tuned up. Find something in the push mower style that has an engine with a oil filter on it.
    I like the Toro line but a bit pricey. If you can get a mower with a Kawaski engine, those are good also. imho
    :wink:

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    It does not matter there both the same mower MTD. So go with the cheapest.:wink:

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    first thing that came to my mind was, garage sale. newer isnt always better if you know what i mean.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Whats wrong with goats? :roll_eyes:

10. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Be sure to check your local John Deere dealer or go on line. They have specials going now that are no downpayment, no interest and no payments for 12 months and some low interest options. They may cost a little more but parts and service are easy to find. As far the Cub or Troy built...they are made by MTD. MTD builds tons of brands of mowers...cheap built mowers.