Crystal City Nutroll

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by BigCatter54, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    ok, so Josh and I fished the King kat at Crystal City, slow day to say the least, after more than half of the day gone Josh and i decided to head up to the dam, current was rolling but we thought what the hell, aint catching anything else so go big or go home, so we get up there and set up, after about 15 minutes of setting and getting pounded by the wakes from the current, we notice our lines which were straight out are no longer out straight any more, so our anchor is not longer holding so we are reeling in our lines, I get my first line in, and all of the sudden , my middle pole is bent over, snagged, and before i can grab it it snaps josh;s rod holder off and down into the drink she goes....needless to say I have a few choice words, there goes 150 bucks. so after reeling in my other pole I start to retrieve my anchor which has 100 ft of rope out. Now you can ask Nanner, this is no small anchor, and frankly I am very surprised that it stopped holding, so I start to retrieve the anchor, after about 7 minutes I see the chain, then the problem appears. This is a homemade anchor, and it is designed that if snagged I can break off a heavy duty zip tie and pull it out backwards. Gets all the up and down broke the zip tie and we started draggin the thing backwards. So Here I am pullin this thing in the boat and I notice some bright yellow string wrapped around the anchor..............somehow I snagged my line to the downed pole with my cnchor and now I got my rod and reel back THANK YOU GOD....oh that was the only thing I caught all day, witht eh exception of the next hole we were fishing I caught a barge cable which adds a lot of weight to the anchor, I had to have Josh come up and help me pull the thing in, I did think I was gonna ever get it in. Oh well, still has a good day when i finally got my rod (that went overboard) in the boat, all of the sudden we hear a barge holler at us over his PA system asking if we were planning on driving right in front of him, guess in all of the excitment we drifted over in front of the locks and a barge was coming out as we drifted over. lol, so we ended up with one flathead about 10 lbs, that was our only bite of the day.:embarassed: and after all that excitement and workouts , we decided to let mr. flathead go and just head home as we didnt feel like driving an hour to weigh in ten lbs.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Now Thats a bona Fide nutroll. I'm sure Polce will agree.

1 I can't believe THAT anchor let loose lol
    2 I'm glad you got your rig back. That's one of the ones you just bought too.

3. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Ditto on the rod..wish i could have gotten mine back..sure makes for a bad day when your losing gear and not catching any fish.:angry: :angry:
    But I got to fish with some good company...and saw some great stringers being weighted in.:big_smile: :big_smile:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Grump and I managed a series of miniature rolls with numerous snaggings and the like but nothing in comparison to those previously mentioned lol.

5. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    It was a NUTROLL day for sure..F250CAT and I had several also but I guess it was all meant to be..at one time we had the anchor hung up and a rod at the same time. We examined the situation and thought maybe it was hung in the anchor so Paul is going to pull the anchor will I drive the boat and hold the rod. Well I damn near threw Paul out he front of the boat but we got the anchor and the rod wasn't hung on it so now we swap and Paul is driving and I am standing in the back holding the rod with the string rapped around a dowel rod. Paul starts moving and the line want break he keeps going and I stumble and dam near fall out the back of the boat, stump my big toe and tear the toe nail half off....then a few minutes later the low oil alarm goes off...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO OMG where is the master zen of nutroll to put his stamp of approval on these calamitys. Me thinks every Gateway boat should dawn a video camera in tournament situations. Lol

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Anddddd keep in mind we all pay our hard earned money to bear these rolls too lmao

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Turns out that 62% of all nutrolls revolve around the anchor, so this report isn't much of a surprise and certainly qualifies. All in all, it sounds as if you handled it well. Nice job.

I'm also saddened to report one of team nutrolls members, Pearl, moved to PA this Monday....so we are still morning the loss. He's pretty landlocked as there aren't a lot of rivers or lakes in that state. I think he will have take up squirrel hunting now. :smile2:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like you all need to Hold interviews for a team nutroll replacement. Me thinks we have several folks that appear to be qualified lmao

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Be careful Nanner, some people don't like the fact that a camera be mention in a boat! This thread could be yanked! :smile2: Hint of sarcasm LMAO!!!

11. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Yes it was one that I just bought, kinda made me sick to my stomch when you see your new rig go ver the boat. But hey, I got it back by sheer stupid luck, but like they say i would rather be lucky than good any day of the week.

12. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i don't know who or what boat it was. but we were running up river to fish sat. morn. there was a boat running off to my side and about a half a boat length in front of me. alot of wakes from the boats that went before us. we were watching his poles dance in the back of his boat when two rods flew out. one hung up but one was lost. a few more bumps and their day would have ended a little sooner than they thought. now who was the the one. fess up i promise i wont call for a name change like some around here ...............lmao:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
  14. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    holy chit Scott i didn't know that was you sry. i saw the hole thing go down, i really thought both of them were history when it went flying off.

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Bad start.....huh......I would have traded ya! :wink::smile2:

16. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Don't worry boys I have a feeling i'm building up for the mother of all nutrolls i'm way over due:eek:oooh::confused2:

17. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Paul felt bad about it to. He said that the holder had never came loose before. We fished our first hole and when we got ready to move I laid my rods over by the gunnel and when I looked around Paul had his in the floor. I looked at him and said aren't you going to use the rod rack and he said F*CK NO.:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: We never put another rod in it the rest of the day and when we got back to the launch he threw it in the back of his truck. Just one of them things that happen...I was just lucky that it was only the one..:embarassed: :embarassed:

18. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    No Thank You....Wheel bearings going out is not something I care to experience anymore...:sad2: :sad2:

19. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: now thats funny. smile your on candid camera.:big_smile:

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Rat already knows what losing a rod is like. One of my driftmasters came out with his new rig attached to it couple years back. We didn't get it back. We just turned around an it was gone. Lol don't even know when it fell off. The driftmasters either worked itself loose, or the more likely scenario of the Jackman was playing 'catfishing' while the boat was in the barn. Lmao