crystal city 09

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Steve Douglas, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    just been google mapping the cabelas qualifiers that i will be fishin this season and got to thinkin about fishin the crystal city/cabelas event in 09!
    are any of you guys willin to give me some general info. on the river system? guys im not lookin for anyone to share there spots or holes, im sure ill be able to find something once i get there! im just wondering about water depth, IS THERE ANY DANGERS IN RUNNING THE RIVER! (shallow water) whats bottom composition, mud, rock, sand? ive heard theres alot of current on river, what size sinkers do you recomend? i wasnt plannin on fishin this tourney, but it sounds like it may be worth the trip! and a chance to meet you fine fellars from MO. thanks for any info.

steve douglas

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Steve give me a shout. I can help you out with the information.

Cuz 314-853-4000

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Steve, that is a good stretch of river and the tournament will surely be worth the drive. As far as being a dangerous area to fish I would say no more than any other part of the Mississippi or any other big river for that matter. You just need to use caution and remain vigilant at all times. The river is navigable by barge traffic so water depth is not a problem but like everything else is dependant on the season and water level. There are a LOT ot wingdams in that stretch which provide a type of structure for fish all their own...and a navigation hazard as well (just ask Patrick :wink:). Bottom type will be mud and/or sand and depending on the waterlevel you are gonna need a lot of weight. I am sure others will chime in as well.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Steve, I typically use anywhere from 6-16 ounces depending on where I fish. The current is usually running 2.5-4.5MPH depending on conditions. If the water is low, not much danger other than wingdams, which there are alot of. If the river is up, there can be debris, and wingdams just under the water which create a lower unit hazard. Depths range anywhere from 10-80 ft. Not alot of shallow unless you find a flat. Other than that, barge waves and asian carp are about the only hazards. Northbound barges can throw 6ft rollers out the back, and make for a rough ride in any rig. Lol:wink:

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks fellas! i do appreciate the info.