Crushed Cork on Drift Rig

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Apr 15, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I had two tremendous hits this morning without a hook set while drifting a creek on my local lake. I was second guessing my set-up and my mind slipped back to past posts about Kahles vs. circle hooks!! LOL!!

When I reeled in to check the bait on one drift rig I noticed the cork had been squashed on the top and bottom, like someone with no teeth had bitten it. LOL! I checked the other rod that was hit and sure enough the cork there too had been hit. The catfish bit down with some force on both corks. I guess he was reacting to movement near the scent of the bait and hit the cork.

Anyone ever noticed this on the drift rigs??

I have never paid attention before, but I will start looking at some of the corks from now on when I "think" I have a short bite.

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have had corks hit while fishing. I have always wanted to try using a stinger hook on the cork. who knows what might happen.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alot of times I will have fish come up grab the bait and cork and pull the cork down over the hook and loose the fish.

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i always fish with corks by my hooks when fishing below cannelton dam in the rocks. most of the time when i catch a large blue, the float will be smashed. i go through quite a few of them. i use 3 inch pegs mostly.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    A few years back we were bream fishing and my sister was using a bright orange bobber and the water by it exploded. A big ole bass hit it like it was a buzz bait, she was hoopin and hollerin and I was laughing. It was a good little tussle until it opened its mouth. I told her she needed to run a hook through that bobber that might help on them cats too.

ST

6. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ""Per WylieCat 4/1506

The catfish bit down with some force on both corks. I guess he was reacting to movement near the scent of the bait and hit the cork.

Anyone ever noticed this on the drift rigs??""

NC cats, in my experience, have always had an adventureous taste. I must ask, knowing what I do, if the catfish that you mentioned had a taste for the corks from the Caymus Cabernet, or the Ferrari Chardonnay?

(Dieter..this is all in good fun of course:wink:

7. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dieter, this happens more than people realize, most of the times when drifting, more times than not it is not a catfish, turtles do that a lot. they follow the drift scent trail just like a catfish , now go spend .30cents and buy a new float:rolleyes: . :big_smile_2: .....

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Has anyone ever used the foam ear plugs for a drift float? ithink they soak up scent and release it . Maybe same thing is happening to me.