crp and food plots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by smhmc6, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. smhmc6

    smhmc6 Member

    Messages:
    744
    State:
    Kansas
    I have a question for you guys. I have a lease this year and there's a real good chance that I will be able to lease it as many years that I want it. The land owner is a family friend. I am pretty sure that I could convince the land owner to let me plant food plots on his land. He is enrolled in crp, so before I even ask him I was trying to find out if he can even have food plots. I really don't know much about the program other than the land has to be qualified for the program, and he gets paid to grow native grasses. I tried to do a little research and find out for myself but I'm not having much luck. Does the program allow you to plant a certain percentage of the land in food plots?
     
  2. massa_jorge

    massa_jorge New Member

    Messages:
    2,137
    State:
    TEXAS
    as i understand it, the program pays you NOT to plant food plots or crops. i know we have some land owners on the BOC, so hopefully they can put some informed info on the subject!
    i did want to say that i used to hunt a lot of crp. the deer bed down in it, and usually use it as a travel corridor between food and water. walk through it every way you can looking for trails and beds. i have killed loads of deer in straight crp that had crops nowhere in sight.
     

  3. Paraguayguy

    Paraguayguy New Member

    Messages:
    1,650
    State:
    Virginia
    When I lived in MO, one of the farms I hunted used to plant Wheat in one of the CRP fields and then NOT HARVEST the wheat and that was OK and within the rules. Man did we ever hammer the pheasants out that field.:big_smile:
     
  4. backwoodsman68geric

    backwoodsman68geric New Member

    Messages:
    943
    State:
    illinois
    Last I knew in Illinois you could cut CRP once or twice a year but couldnt plant it with anything. After the initial planting that was it. Had to have special permission to bale the cuttings too. We still hunt some CRP, good cover.
     
  5. smhmc6

    smhmc6 Member

    Messages:
    744
    State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the replies. I did a little research today and still didn't find what I was looking for as far as the rules go. But I did find something on the kansas wildlife page about some upland bird stuff you can do and increase the money you get by like $25/acre or something. I think there was something else about a cost share for like 75% or something but all that was upland bird habitat stuff. I'm interested in big game, not upland birds. I think they allow you to plant up to 10% of your crp land in wildlife food plots, you just can't harvest it like someone said before. I thought I had heard that somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

    The land is around 250 acres and probably 75% crp and the other 25% timber. Its a great hunting property, and yes the crp has tons of beds in it. I'm kind of interested in putting a few food plots in though. Obviously for the hunting, but also I'd like to improve the habitat and their food sources... its something that I think I would enjoy as a hobbie.
     
  6. Paraguayguy

    Paraguayguy New Member

    Messages:
    1,650
    State:
    Virginia
    I bet if you call the county farm agent, they could tell you about the rules. Should be in the phone book under US Department of Agriculture.