Crowded Rivers

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know there are miles and miles of river out there to fish but it seems like everytime Im out, day or night it is tough to find a good stretch of river that doesn't already have a boat on it or a boat leaving it...I know this doesn't always make a difference but it sure is discouraging when you work all week and plan to fish all night on the weekend and you end up sharing the same stretch of river with numerous boats. I'm not blaming the other boats cuz we are all out there to fish....but it sure would be nice to feel like you are actually fishing a whole that hasn't already been fished 6 times that day. Anyone else having problems with crowded rivers?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First off Todd, I don't recall if I welcomed you to the BOC, so, welcome to the BOC. I'd look at the crowded rivers this way... there must be a chance there's fish in there. You go somewhere theres no one else fishing, thats a fair indication the fishing sucks. I doubt this day and age you'll find a "virgin" stream... Maybe they'll like your bait, or presentation better. There's only one guarantee in fishing, and that is if you don't get your line wet , you ain't going to catch any fish... Just jump right in there among 'em and fish your heart out... you'll either meet a whole bunch of friends or a lynch mob...:lol:

3. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i would also like to say welcome to the b.o.c and i havent had much problem with other boats as much as i have with diddy lines. but still if i see them i at least know that there might be a chance thay go by it and go for mine.when i go out i start out by at least 7pm so i can get all set and throw my bait infront of the log jam i am fishing around and with you being from around dallas county i am sure that you will hear of windy bend sooner or later the river in adel is a good one to fish and their isent a lot of traffice other than line runners. might see you out there i am out more this year seeing that i now have my brother-in -law hooked on flat fishing but good luck on finding that good fishing hole.

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cathunter

I will agree with you, the Raccoon isn't nearly as bad for boats as others such as the Des Moines. I have fished the raccoon quite a few times this year and the past few years and it is a lot quieter than the Des Moines River, plus there are plenty of flats in there as well. I have never fished above the dam in town though, I don't know about that. I usually fish from the ramp near Van Meter towards Adel. If you fish below the dam I am sure I have passed you a time or two.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It may seem crowded. Especially the first part of the river upstream of boat ramps and at dams and easy places like that. But for the most part, I don't see the people. I just see the junk they leave behind like garbage and bank lines that people don't pick up. I quit going down to saylorville and bigcreek in the summer because of what you say. It is real crowded there.

This weekend I saw a microwave in the river and I went to a sandpit and there is the engine out of a little car rolled down the steep bank to the water's edge and casey's sandwich containers in the parking lot and about 100 shotgun shells on the ground from last year. Then I went down to a different place to try and there were people buck naked makin the beast of two backs at 1pm on a sandbar 200 yards from the highway by a boatramp. The river did feel a little crowded at that point. It wasn't pretty and I had to leave.

Sometimes I go out on a nice night and I wonder why there is no one out. I like fridays because it seems like there are a lot less people out then, rather than saturday evenings.

Is the coon boatable most of the year? I've never been in a boat on it.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Busy sections are often a good place to catch big fish. Big fish are there to see what is going on. Fish in busy areas are not spooked by noise. Many fish Big and small are release in busy areas. Busy areas are most often not fished by someone who is really in the know. Try it.

Laugh at those busy people.
    Slow and steady
    Good luck

7. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Todd you are young and will have to deal with crowded rivers for quite some time, it is just the way things are. I am retired and therefore I do not go fishing on the weekends. I fish during the week and it is very rare that I find some one in one of my fishing spots. One of the benefits of old age.