Crow Problems

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by wylie catter, May 5, 2008.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I need some advice from yall experts. This is my first year doing a garden, so it's all new to me.
    The crows are eating my corn and I can't get rid of them.
    I put up a scare crow and that didn't work. I've shot what ones I could and hung them upside down over the garden and that didn't do anything. And yesterday I ran strings all over the place with aluminum pie pans on them, but I aint confident that's gonna work.

When all my corn got about 2" tall they ate 80% of it in one day while I was at work. So I replanted it all friday. Then sunday morning I looked out the window and three of them were in there going down the rows. Scratching it with there foot and eating it and movin on down the row. Walking under the scare crow and dead crows I've got hung up.
    I'm going to buy a fake owl today and see if that does anything.

I don't mind shootin them, but they're pretty hard to get a shot at. As soon as I crack the door they're gone.:angry:

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my suggestion. buy a bird net. the black birds aka starlings here do the same with my tomatoes. they pick them off at the ground. i first thought it was a rabbit yet the chicken wire around the garden did no good. then i caught them in action one morning on my second round of tomatoes. i got two bird nets and tied them togather with twine and drape it over stakes and leave it till plants get 10" or so before removing. that will stop them. and if one finds a way in its pretty easy to blow them away.:smile2:

i shouldnt but .22 bird shot does work well. prob not supposed to in town but i just say its a pellet gun.:wink:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Shoot just one crow.
    Plant a pole right next to the garden about 12 feet high or so.
    Hoist the dead crow by the feet up the pole and leave him there and let him rot away.

It works every time.
    Not only will they leave but they'll hold a funeral for the deceased.
    When you hear that fuss you'll be thinking about an attack of the killer crows movie.
    Crows are smart. Real smart.
    I learn little tricks like that hangin with the old farmers at the general store over a cold coke.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I've got those black birds all over the place too. But they're a lot dumber. I've picked a few of them off with the air rifle from the porch.