Crow Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by flannelman, Feb 14, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

does anybody here crow hunt? i was thinkin about getting into it cause i got a lot of big ones around here and their gettin pretty annoying. ive heard they taste pretty good and id be willing to eat one...then again, id eat anything that had a head.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I personally haven't hunted them, but know people who have. They say that they are extremely smart and it won't take them long to avoid an area due to hunting. All I can say is give it your best shot.

TA2D

Aaron

3. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know they are smart. We have had a couple come onto our land, but as soon as we get the guns they are gone. They have never come back. They just circle around our land and go to another field. They are little devils. I've herd that crow calls work pretty well.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They are very smart. Try and owl decoy on a fencepost with a crow decoy below. I recommend a electronic caller as mouth blown will leave you dizzy to keep em coming in. DO NOT shoot the first couple that come in if your using a distress or crow fight. They are scouts. They will bring in the whole flock. This hunting calls for gun and run. Call for about 20 minutes. If they come in shoot like mad till they leave then move several miles and do it all over. Camoflage is a must. I use my turkey outfit. Watch the sunglasses. The reflection can spook em.

5. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    kspor, does it the same way I do and it works great. Why would you want to eat a crow, haha!

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Stalking Crows with a shotgun,will teach you more about hunting,than anything that I know of.You have to get CLOSE.It can be learned,if you keep at it.The first of the day is hard.From then on you learn how good you are.#2 is very hard,After that,they will fly a mile or more away.I killed 5 one day.out of the same flock when I was 16.It took all day.I was good,and I am proud of that to this day.There was no limit or season back then.peewee-williams

7. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I've had pretty good luck with crow calls. Try an owl decoy. I think will really up your chances of killing some. We have a pecan orchard on some of our land. They are thick down there every year. Before I had decoys, I'd call in one crow and shoot it. Then prop it up with a stick so it looks like its just standing there. Then keep calling and continue to prop the dead crows. The more you prop up, the more convincing it seems to be. I think I ended up with about 13. It though it was a lot of fun and pretty funny too. The crows probably didn't though.

8. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    flannelman, Decoys help alot but not always necessary, Like said before, if you can shoot a couple use them for decoys. Just lay them on the ground with their wings spread, and call like crazy. Owls work good too! Buy a couple decoys at a time so its not so much out of pocket all at once. I second the camo, camo everything! Even your gun if possible. They will pick up the glare off a shiny barrel, Ive seen it happen. Back into a cedar tree as far as you can and start calling. IT is a blast and once you get onto it, you will enjoy it. As far as eatin them, I don't know about that, LOL
    Later, iowacatter

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    We hunt crows out of our fields and yard. I've never eatin them and don't want to because they eat the livestock crap, dead things, and get into the trash. They are fun to shoot though, if they're flying you can use a shot gun, and if they are on the ground you can peck them off with a 22, or of course, a 30.06, if you don't want any crow left. LOL

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    We don't have too my friend.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ilive in N.M. and havent ever had the chance to hunt the black rats with wings cause the NMG&F classifies them as birds of prey and the fine is the same for crows, ravens,buzzards,owls,hawks, or eagles

12. Langerock

Langerock New Member

State:
    Modesto, CA
    Hey guys, my name Is Mike.
    This is my first post so I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

This winter I was crow hunting in my backyard shooting crows at about
    30-45 yards on power lines and the field across the street.
    I have learnt to only shoot the solitary ones because if you shoot the ones in groups to much they won't come around anymore.
    The first one I got I was walking in my front yard with my Gamo 220 hunter pellet rifle (1000fps) And I saw a crow sitting on the rack of my old truck, I got real excited and raised the rifle and shot within about 5 seconds.
    It must have been a lucky shot because my scope was messed up, I aimed for the vitals, but got a clean headshot straight throught th top part of the beak, with a nickel sized exit wound.
    When I brought the bird on the porch to clean it my sister started crying and said 'it was a living animal' and I said ' so was the cheeseburger I just barbecued.'
    Anyways I cooked it and it tastes exactly like beef.
    I wish you guys could have seen the look on my sisters face when I tricked her into eating it.