Crow Huntin

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by greasemonkey07, Nov 13, 2006.

1. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tried some crow huntin over the weekend. We had an old tape player playing a cassette tape that had crow calls on it. Only problem we had was se couldn't get them close enough to us to shoot em. Anyone have any advice for getting them crows to come alittle closer for the shot?

Could it be that we didn't have any decoys?

Thanks for any advice.:big_smile_2:

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Decoys might help, and make sure your are still, camoflauged and in a good hideout. experienced crows are very smart and can see you alot better than some people think.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    what i do is put a cassette on like you said, with about 5 cheap decoys, then i get smaller groups of crows come close enoguh to shoot then theyr layin out there and act as decoys somewhat to. its alot of fun if you have a bunch of crows to hit.

4. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea, one of the guys i hunt with said that the crows will send in a small group to see what is going on. If you shoot all of the ones from that group then they will start coming in just as fast as you can shoot and reload.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    They're right on setting out 4-6 decoys. I would invest in a electronic call and lay out the decoys around a white trash bag. This works well for us, when we get a chance to do it. The electronic call will also be able to be used to hunt coyotes, bobcats, etc.... They really work well.... Good luck..

6. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    crowbusters.com is a great site and they have lots of info.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sounds like a lot of fun but unfortunately here in New Mexico the game dept lumps crows and ravens in the same group as owls, hawks, and eagles the fine is the same too

8. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    fresh road-kill maybe?

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    or, when i kill a deer, i take some of the guts and put em in about 4 trashbags, tie it to a tree near a pond and throw it in there, when i want to use em for coyote/crow/any scavenger you wanna attract, i take em out and dump em in a field about 630 and sit and wait until dark, then head out to where ya dumped em and there should be alot of targets to hit that night if ya do it right:tounge_out: but you can only leave em in the pond under water for about 2 days tops. keeps the coons and coyotes from gettin in to em. not promissing any turtles will get them but thats what the trash bags are for.

10. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    That sounds like it would work wonders on some varmints! Of course the buzzards might come around lookin for free meal. How long do you leave them out?

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have always called mine up by mouth learned it when I was a boy when you get them talking back use a owl call makes them mad mad When they come in try to wound one tie a string around his leg hide and jerk every now and then you willhave every crow in the county come:cool2: