crossman storm XT

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by nycathunter, Aug 24, 2008.

1. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    i went an bought a crossman storm xt it came with a 3-9x32 center point scope went to sight the scope in this morning an it was shooting low the dial for up an down is all the way cranked for up an its still shooting low?? what else can i do ?? i took the scope off an with regular sights it was on the money at 50 yrds but id like to be able to use the scope any suggestions ???

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Matt, you can shim the bottom of the rear scope mount with elec tape or pieces cut from coke or beer cans, light cardboard etc and get it to come up. Don't know how much you need to come up but do a little at a time and it will probably work. You probably won't have to put much to make it work. I have a 30-06 that I put a small piece of cardboard off a ammo box and it is still on the money 30 years later. Pellet guns are a pain in the butt to get sighted in sometimes. A breakover barrel will shoot low a lot of times.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shimming is what I would suggest as well,I prefer a non moisture retaining material,beer/soda cans and electrical tape myself. Also ,I like to just move the point of aim a few clicks at a time and shoot up to 20 rnds in a pellet rifle before making more adjustments,as sometimes it takes a bit of recoil to settle in the crosshairs.

4. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    thanks guys ill give the shims a try squrille season isnt far away an want to get it sighted in:big_smile:

5. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    got the scope sighted in the shims worked great i used eletrical tape . opening day for squrille is monday gonna take it out an see how it does will post pics if i can hit them thru all the leaves

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad I could be of some help,Mat. Hope you get a bunch,If theres more than you can handle,mail me a few I'd like to have a mess.:wink:

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    my scope was accurate for 30 shots then the elivation broke!!!!!!:angry:

i put a smaller scope on it and got it accurate to shoot 1/2 in groups at 12 yds and 3/4 groups at 22yds.....

shot it with open sights and got 3/8 broups at 12 yds and 3/4 groups at 22 yds.:confused2:

i like open sights more....... around here i dont hunt but i do some serious crow control along with hitting the pigeons off of roofs without hitting the shingles :cool2:

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    try some beeman round nose pellets......

super accurate and hit like a MOFO

9. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    i sighted it in with pba raptors ill give the beeman's a try but i really like the raptors for squrille an rabbits ill be going for headshots

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    dont get sucked into that pba junk. its only 5 grains and HARD. there for that little extra velocity you get in useless. there will be very little energy transfer just a pass through. since they break the sound barrier the accuracy will be very sloppy due to the pellet tumbling. stick with heavier lead for greater energy and accuracy. plus that extra speed doesnt even give you any extra power.
    7.9 grain pellet at 1000fps=17.77 foot pounds
    5 grains at 1200fps=15.99 FPE
    my source: http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/formulas/
    also a claimed 1000fps is almost never true. more like 800-900fps

11. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    a complete pass thru in the head sounds great to me... an the accuracy seems better on the raptors than regular lead havent had a problem with them yet

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    PBA pellets are a gimic,They will also ,with time hurt your airgun,in the case of the break barrel spring piston type. I use lead pellets as they are heavier and soft enough to fireform to the rifling of any barrel material,as some steel is softer and some are made of brass.

13. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    my gun seems to shoot them well i shot a 2by6 with a lead pellet it went 1/4inch in then shot a raptor it went 3/4 of the way in also at 25 yards im gettin 1/2 inch groups with pba an 1inch groups with regular lead im gonna use lead for just plinking an raptors for hunting cause they are pricey

14. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    went to try out the new pellet gun this morning it was a bueatifull morning bluejays were singing crows were being noisy as usual i saw alot of squirells i ended up with two only ones that gave me a shot cant wait for the leaves to start falling it will make it easier. amazingly niether of the two that i got had fleas ill be having some deep fried squrille for dinner tho:big_smile: i took a pic

Attached Files:

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I SHOT A CROW AT ABOUT 15 FT YETERDAY( OUT MY BACK DOOR AND IT BLEW GUTS ON OUR TRUCK ABOUT 20 FT AWAY FROM WHERE THE CROW WAS.

IT WAS LIKE SOMETHING YOU SEE IN A ACTION FILM..... ONE SHOT AND HE WAS BLOW AWAY LIKE SPECIAL EFFECTS ( WHEN THEY PULL THE GUY BACK AND HIS ARMS GET YANKED FORWARD )

THEY WERE JUST CROSMAN HOLOWPOINTS IN THE VALUE PACK

THEY ARENT THE BEST QUALITY BY FAR BUT PUT IN THE BREECH OF AN EXPERENCED TRICK SHOOTER AND YOU WILL DO FINE WITH IT.....

I LIKE OPEN SIGHTS BECASUE I CAN SIGHT IN MY GUN TO 1" GROUPS AT SO-AN-SO FT AND THEN SHOOT AT SO-IN-SO ON DIFFERENT CONDITIONS :wink:

RAPTOR PELLETS ARE TERRABLE FOR A BREAKER BUT IF YOU GET A PUMP LIKE THEY 2100 THEN MABY IT WILL DO MORE PERFORMANCE.....

LIKE IT WAS SAID BEFORE HEAVY LEAD PUTS MORE OF A PUNCH