Crossbred catfish - Blue and Channel catfish cross?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by SkiMax, May 3, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I caught a fish last summer that looked like a blue body and fins and a channel head. With some features of both mixed. Is this possible?

I also had a buddy told me that he caught a flathead and channel mix and this sounds pretty crazy as i am sure their genomes and genetic codes are completely different but anybody know this for sure?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It is possible. I looked on google and there have been channel/blue crosses used in fish farms. So genetically it is possibly. I don't know what the occurance in the wild is though. As for a flathead channel cross I have no idea. It might still be possible.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    according to http://myfwc.com/fishing/Fishes/catfish.html channels will on rare occasion cross bred with flatheads and blues in the wild. Apparently they channel/blue hyrbid is becoming very popular in catfish farms.

It's amazing the stuff you can find on the internet these days.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    and yet another website syas they can also mate with bullheads. I guess they are all close enough genetically to cross breed. Now
    I wonder if they could breed with other foreign species like the Wels Catfish

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    2 weeks ago when my dad and I were fishing in Lake Ray Roberts we caught what we believed was a blue/channel crossed with a flathead. The head was very unusually shaped, it didnt look right for any of the species. Its mouth was a bit wider than a blues but not quite as big ro shaped like a flathead either. It was molted on the sides like a flathead, but colored grey/blueish. The tail was forked not flat like a flathead. It looks closer to a blue or a channel than a flathead, but some features were just not right for a normal blue.

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    On occasion, people get confused when they catch a channel with a very large misshapen head. Often times it's just a spawning male channel. When it's breading time, the males heads will swell up.
    Jared, If this was two weeks ago, this could very well be the case. Do you know if the channels are starting to spawn in your area?

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Channels and blue's are in the same genus under scientific classification (for those that don't know its the next broadest catagory to species) so they have a higher likely hood of the genetics being compatable... There are also rumors that there were stockings of Blue/channel x's in some places but non confirmed to me...

8. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    As stated there are many benefits of a blue/channel crosses used in fish farms so I guess it could be possible to occur naturally.

I actaully have a blue/channel cross in my Koi pond, and let me tell you, boy he's an aggressive eater.

9. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    In the lake I fish people always say throw the blues back b/c they taste bad, but to keep the high fin blues.....What is the difference in a blue and a high fin blue? Or are they all full of it? I was told not all lakes have high fin blues, do yall think a high fin blue is a farm raised and stocked fish?

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah we've caught many channels and blues that had huge heads from rubbing during spawns. This was different. Its didnt have anything to do with swelling,and the mouth parts were designed differently. I really think it was a mix.

11. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sometimes when they cross you get some really odd ones.:smile2:

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sometimes when they cross, some really odd ones show up:lol:

Attached Files:

13. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That would explain the one I caught last year I'll see if I can find the pic....

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Doyle, that was one scary cat picture, made me jump and almost turned off my computer .I was afraid it had broken or would. lmao. thanks for the laugh. keep up the good work.:lol: :lol: :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes:

15. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Would You call that a cross between a blue and a bullhead? lol!

16. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
  17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    ROFLMAO Doyle if I ever caught one that looked like that I'd jump off the boat.

18. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    i was told by a bait shop owner that the DNR is stocking channel/blue hybrids in the ohio river but just hear say

19. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Doyle: That pic. looks like the same catfish that was caught swallowing the soccer ball.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I think thats some kind of bullhead/sucker hybrid.