Crossbows Poll

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by hookeye, Sep 2, 2005.

1. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey gang,
    What is your opinion on crossbows being allowed during regular bow season? This seems to be a big issue with a lot of folks in my neck of the woods. This is the first year that they will be allowed for most of the season here. I personally do not have any crossbow knowledge or experience, so I guess I am on the fence with this issue.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are those that can't use a conventional bow of any kind due to disabilities.
    In NC you have to be physically disabled to hunt with a crossbow.
    I fall in that category having broken both elbows and have had my bone doctor fill out the paperwork and submit it to the state on my behalf.
    I doubt I'll ever use it but I'm approved anyway.

2 years ago the North Carolina Bow Hunters Association was lobbying to have these laws repealed. In essence they think the disabled should be kept disabled and made to watch a sport from the sidelines so their sanctomonious sport is preserved as a primitive weapons sport.
    What is primitive about a compound bow? What on God's green earth makes a bow hunter so much more special then someone hunting with a rifle or someone hunting with a crossbow?
    All this over a set of antlers to hang on the wall?
    I guess the world could possibly end if a crippled man killed the deer of the year with a crossbow. Lest they forget the crossbow has been around for centuries also?

They caught alot of nasty publicity over this and did more harm to themselves as a group then they did to the opposition. The laws still stand .

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Before I give my thoughts on crossbows, I have a question. What was the pro crossbow lobby doing at that time. Currently there is a strong push to get crossbows into the archery season. KS has the same law as NC as far as disabled hunters go, but have had a continuous fight from the X-bow lobby trying to get them into our bow season. If the crossgun lobby(see my thoughts on x-bows yet) was pushing hard and using disabled hunters in their strategy to get them legal then I completely under stand their(NCBHA) stance. If you can shoot a x-gun, then you can also use a rifle. A very key part of archery, and this applies to ALL bows, you have to pull them back in the presence of game. I am very anti crossgun in the archery season. If disabled folks choose to use them or they are used during rifle and muzzleloader season that's fine, but they have no place in archery season. That's just my humble opinion, and has been for the past 25 years(that's how long I've been bowhunting).

4. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I totally agree with Center12 I couldnt have said it better myself.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My gripe is that they are hiding behind their stance which is a primitive weapon.
    You and I both know the modern bow has progressed alot farther then the crossbow.
    Technically the crossbow could be in fact more primitive then the compound bow.

At any rate, the season here is a primitive weapons season or bow season.
    A crossbow qualifies without a doubt.

The pro crossbow lobby is or was basicly anyone not associated with the NCBHA. They were fighting against these self righteous nimcompoops.
    What else would there be to do?

You take a state the size of NC with a deer herd of well over a million.
    Then you take a very very small percentage of the hunting population that is disabled using crossbows and you cant let them hunt during bow season?
    Come on. You really think it's going to jeopardize that brown goat you been wanting on your wall?

You are making me want to lobby for these guys even more now.
    Maybe let crossbow hunters start 3 weeks earlier and end 3 weeks later.
    My God the bow hunters would be screaming murder!
    It's a damn good thought. You can believe I'll send a letter to my state senator on that one.
    Give them their own season before bow season so the bow hunters cant participate. I love it.

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Primitive man had to pull his bow back, in the presence of game in order to launch an arrow into a beast. I don't care how advanced our bows have become you still have to pull in back in the presence of game........selfbow, longbow, recurve or compound. Just as primitive man (not the french army) had to pull it back so do we.

I also never said I agreed with there stance concerning the disabled hunter, in fact I stated they should be used.........and I assume they still are allowed in NC. I said I would understand their stance if it was being used to fight the crossgun lobby. That's understand, not agree.......big difference.

Do you really believe that the crossgun manufacturers have disabled hunters as there primary market focus, get real Mark, it's all about getting their product "legitimized" by having it included in the bow season. It's all about the dollars baby and if they can pull on your sympathy string to get them in then that's just peachy. Simply put, crossguns are not bows. They are mechanisms, you might as well go ahead and legalize Draw-Locs while your at it.

If you really believe that crossguns should have their own season than by all means lobby your Legislature or F&W to get it. But, if your doing it to spite a group that has probably done more for archery in your state than you ever will is just vindictive and petty. That sounds pretty harsh, but I know our state association(as a group) has done a whole lot more than me (the individual) to maintain our bowhunting heritage.

Like I stated earlier, let disabled hunters use them, use them during rifle and muzzleloader seasons, but they are not bows so keep them out of archery season(primitive).

Horns mean very little to me..........show me the steak baby..........I'm a meathunter first, a horn hunter if the opportunity presents it's self. I have zero taxidermy in my home...........dang I must be a freak :p

7. Mrjc

Mrjc New Member

State:
    *Required*
    They aught to change the name to modern combpond bow season because there is nothing PRMATIVE about the bows that are used today. What is a crossgun, is that something new? :confused:

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Still have to pull that compound back, just like the primitives did. Guess we should have "special" seasons for everything. Recurves with fiberglass(heaven forbid), longbows with reflex/deflex design(way too effiecent)........the list goes on and on. The simple fact remains.........you have to pull the bow back in the presence of game.

Crossgun.........cock the weapon(weapon fully shootable while you wait for game), put the crosshairs on the target, pull the trigger..........am I decribing a bow.........hardly, more like a rifle. Fire 5 shots at the range to sight in and your ready to go, wish I could do that with my recuve(or compound).

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'm done with this one, my stance is clear and unchangeable. The stance of my State bowhunting association is clear, the stance of Pope and Young is clear.........crossbows aren't bowhunting. Have a nice day and good luck this season.

10. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I see no problem with crossbows myself. Crossbow's have been around for hundreds of years, way before guns were around. A crossbow has no farther range than a regular compound bow, so i say if you can dart a deer with a crossbow, be my guest. As far as speed of a crossbow vs. compound bow, they are the same as well. The only difference i see is that a crossbow is already pulled back and you dont have the tension on your arm of holding back the string. The same is true for compounds now days too with the advancements of cams, after the letoff, your not holding any noticable weight back, so you can pull the bow back way before a deer is in range. The only bows that are primitive anymore are longbows and recurves. The rest are machines. Thats all i have to say about that.

11. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Here is my only gripe with crossbows. They are easier to use if they open it for everyone how many deer, bear, whatever are we going to start seeing wounded becasue some uneducated immature hunter doesn't know how to shoot and wounds animals?

With a bow and arrow whether it be a compound traditional whatever, if you do not have a clue what you are doing, chances are you will miss unless you are on top of an animal. With a rifle even if you wound an animal dpending on the caliber of course, the wound could quickly either be fatal or slow the animal enough for a second easier shot.

I am not a perfect shot by any means. I have hit several deer in the leg when shooting at long distances. But Out of 4-5 that I hit in that manor 1 walked away, and he was scratched and quit bleeding on me after 13 yards( I was in snow so the blood trail followed by just tracks were easy to follow)

A while back they started opening up primitive weapon seasons in Alaska. I hunted them the first year with my bow for Caribou. At the same time blackpowder was allowed. I shot a bull Caribou with an arrow that was acting funny. After I got him down He had been shot through the throat by a muzzleloader and his windpipe was split. He was not traveling fast and was bedding down constantly. I found out the following day that there were two hunters up there tht had "shot at" 14 animals and claimed not to of hit one.

Hunter education while good, doesn't teach you how to use a crossbow. Bowhunter education while good doesn't teach you to use a crossbow. I feel that primitive weapons bows, X bows, and muzzleloaders all should have repective courses required before utilizing them in the feild. There migh be some out there I am not sure. i haven't taught hunter.bowhunter ed in 6 years, but back then it was only hunter ed and bowhunter ed.

12. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    crossbows are not all that you think they are. I have seen a few people that cant pull a bow that have gotten the authorization to use crossbow and have shot and wounded deer with the crossbow thinking that it is like a rifle...... IT IS NOT. IF you cant pull a bow then by all means get the authorization but if you can pull a bow then pull it and hunt. Crossbows should not be allowed period.

13. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    From some of the reactions that i have seen on this post tells me this is a pretty hot topic down here. Now I really know very little about crossbows.
    Give me a rifle or a bow anyday of the week and we will talk for hours. What is the range on a crossbow? What classes do have have to go to in order to hunt with one if any?

14. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I'm Missouri there is not any class with the exception of the Hunters Safety class and you didn't need that last time I checked to Hunt with a bow. With that said it may has changed since the last time i checked. The only thing that you need in Missouri is to have a doctor to sign off on that you cannot pull a compound bow due to injury or disability.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From what ive seen, heard and read, bows actually "wound" more deer than a xbow. Think about it, if a xbow is more accurate and possibly harder hitting, why would it wound more deer, instead of killing more deer? I dont believe only slob hunters would use a xbow.

And about the having to pull the bow back in presence of game I can see where your coming from. Although I am in favor of a season long xbow season. I have a bear compound that I have taken deer with, but would have bought a xbow instead if I could use it.

As far as primitive weapons, a modern bow is not a primitive weapon. There are cams and other mechanical devices that primitive man had no idea about.
    The same can be said for muzzleloaders, in fact I dont believe a muzzleloader is a primitive weapon at all. To me, the only "primitive" weapon would be one you made yourself. So to all those that are so much holier than I, that believe their bow is the holy grail of hunting, and that all those that dont use it are a step down. Make your own bow, arrow, string, broadheads or spears, then you will have a leg to stand on when discussing primitive weapons.

I cant believe a primitive weapon would cost hundreds if not a thousand dollars. Doesnt seem to primitive to me.

16. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    SSG Johnson,
    See i don't agree with that at all. In Alaska in order to hunt with a bow you had to pass bowhunter ed, which included afeild test for blood trailing and 4 animals (3d's), various ranges (all unknown), one downhill, and you had to hit 5 out of 8 shots in the kill zone to be competant.

I used to teach those classes and they were good, they made sure people could shoot before goign out and wounding animals. With no class offered and just letting people go out becasue any doctor said so, that's BS. I am with oyu if they cannot hunt with a bow fine, there are rifles.

I broke my hand one year before the spring bear season I couldn't bow hunt, But I could pull a trigger.

-Brian

17. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    dirtycitycatman,
    I am not saying that only slob hunters use or would use a X bow, but I am sayign that it is an easier way to get more slob hunters out there. In addition I hope I am not offending anyone with this, but I feel both Hunter ed, bowhunter ed, and X bow ed should be mandatory classes.

Hunter ed for any Hunter.
    Bowhunter Ed for bowhunters.
    And form some type of X bow ed for X bow hunters.

-Brian

18. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I agree with all primitive weapons nowdays not being primative what-so-ever. I hunt with a crossbow. I also hunt with a compound bow. Most bowhunters turn bowhunting into an obsession, and i think that is where the hot topic comes from. I am a meat hunter. Im not a trophy hunter. I'll take a deer whatever way i legally can. This year i can take 3 deer, 1 buck and 2 does. I even got selected to recieve a doe tag, where i can kill a deer with modern gun. Im gonna take 3 deer if i am able, by whatever legal means i can. I muzzleload too. I have a modern inline muzzleloader. With the speedloader in the field, it can be loaded and ready to shoot in about 20 seconds. Thats not primitive either, but its considered primitive. SSG Johnson, i respect your opinion about crossbows. Without everyone having different opionions, everyone would agree on everything, and that would just be boring. At least we have the same goal overall, and thats population control and the sport of deer hunting. :)

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey guys,
    I totally agree with ccc about the hunter ed stuff, Ive got my hunter ed's card, but they dont even check for it here when buying a license.

About the slobs, I group alot of people into this word. Trespassers, thieves, poachers etc... If they want to do something theyll do it and giving me and other people the chance to use a crossbow isnt going to mean less deer, less slob hunters or fewer chances for bowhunters. Opening day for archery is sept. 3rd and closing day is sometime around Jan. 15th. Opening day for xbow is nov. 28th and closes dec. 7th.

What are most of these guys afraid of? An arrow ricocheting off a tree flying 200 yards over the property line and killing their buck of a lifetime, and the only difference is I used a crossbow? Ive talked to so many bowhunters who talk about the deer they hit and not found, its not funny. Unfortunately I dont know what the xbowers are saying cause I dont know any.

20. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Let me clear up what I was trying to say it may have come out wrong. Most hunters that I have seen that have gotten the athorization to use a crozz bow end up wounding a deer and not finding it. Why? because of two reasons 1) They think they can shoot forever and still kill the deer. 2) They want to aim at the kill zone when hunting deer. Regardless if you x-bow or compound bow this will happen but x-bow hunters seem to be doing it more from taking a bad shot or just putting to much faith in the x-bow IT IS NOT A RIFLE. I always shoot low on the deer if i miss no harm done if the deer jumps my arrow then he or she is dead. If it doesnt jump my arrow then I it is dead. Nothing is worse to me than hitting a deer and not killing it and then not finding it. Has it happened to me darn right it has and I will never forget it. I have learned my lessons and will not take a shot that isnt going to kill the animal or miss the animal. Bottem line is if you want to shot a deer with a bow then get a bow if you want to shoot with a gun then get a gun the two doesnt mix but that is just my opinion.