Crossbow What is your thoughts

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by katfish ken, Nov 23, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Wondering what every one thinks of crossbows and hunting with them.

My Opinion
    I think they are very effective way to harvest deer. They are best adapted to stand or blind hunting in my area. As for spot and stalk or still hunting, I find them awkward and cumbersome to try and get through the woods.

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good post Ken. I use a PSE Rattler. I am physically disabled, and have a need to use a bow like this. Although I haven't killed a deer yet with it yet. I am hunting with it right now. The only thing I have trouble with is releasing the string when you are going home. I'm not able to chase an arrow down, so what I have been doing is finding a stick/limb that will fit in the slot for the bolt and firing that off to release the string without dry firing it. Other than that I believe it's a very good way to kill a deer or other game. Later Andy

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    you should be able to hold the string while pulling the trigger

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    its legal here in oh.its not in some states ...i have a browing fury that ive had for 20 years have havested lots of deer with it:wink:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Andy
    keep you a bolt in your vehicle with a field tip in it. Then when you get ready to go home put that bolt in the bow and find some soft dirt and fire it into it.
    My dad has hunted wit one for years for the same reasons as you. this is the way he deals with the problem.
    I think it is a great thing for disabled and handicap people that otherwise would not be able to hunt with a conventional bow.

I Kentucky we have a total of something like 75 or 80 days of crossbow season

6. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never used one as they are illegal to hunt with in WV unless disabled. I would like to try using one sometime. I always like to try new things out for hunting when I can. Seems to me though they would be as efficent or more so than a bow.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    They are very efficiant but cumbersome IMO. I have taken deer with cross bow and they get-R-done. I enjoy hunting with them in a blind much more than tree stand or stalking.

8. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree they are very awkward to carry around. I have a Horton 175 HD I have killed several deer with it and it does a fine job. But carrying it to the blind or tree stand it is just plain awkward. But very fun to shoot.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a Horton myself and love shooting it. I haven't killed any deer with it yet but I'm sure it will do the job.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Like the idea, just can't afford one .

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I love hunting with mine. They are fun to hunt with.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my quiver holds four bolts so I keep three with broadheads and one with a target point just for unload. I just shoot into the ground about ten yards in front of me. If I cant get what I'm hunting with three bolts and/or the game stands there long enough for me to get three bolts off then I probably dont need to be in the woods that day.

13. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What's the effective range of one? Say a 300fps one.

This is the first year they've been legal in SC.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm sure they are an effective killing machine, but they just ain't for me. I quit hunting with a compound after a couple years partly because they are awkward to hunt with compared to a recurve. The price sucks, too. I'm not about to pay more for a bow then would pay for a good rifle.

15. doug300wsm

doug300wsm New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A very good suggestion and idea Ken.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill

That would depend on how much you practice with it I would think. Just like a compound bow the more you practice with it the better you get. The 1st year I hunted with a compound bow I practiced daily for 45minutes to 1 hour at least plus shooting a 20 target 3d range once a week. Come hunting season I could drive tacks. Just took me 2 week ends to fill 2 deer tags and a turkey tag that year. So I think to answer your question!! it depends on the practice you put into it.

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my Hortin cross bow seems to loose acuracy after about 35 to 40 yards but, I also have a red dot scope on it and looking to change to a multi line cross bow scope realy soon. a buddy of mine has a multi line scope on his and he's good well in 50 to 60 yards acuratly with it. I'm not saying to hunt that far away I still like them to come on in under 40 yards. but I do think the scopes are the make and break of a good cross bow and its efficincy , so at the moment I guess I'm on the broken side:sad2: but not for long though santa is/better be commin early. wife just dont know it yet lol.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Leroy
    I'm thinking you are pretty well on target. Within 40yds. would be good, 30 yds. better,with 50 to 60 yds. max under Ideal conditions. Which seldom happens.
    The season I referred to in the earlier post the game was taken within 30 yds. I bye no means was suggesting the cross bow or the compound bow as a long range weapon. That summer I practiced faithfully every day and got very very efficient with the compound bow. Buy that I am talking about the fact that I could put 5 arrows in a 4" circle at 50yds. and 3 arrows in a 8" paper plate at 100yds. There are to many variables out hunting to even think of attempting shots like that on living critters even vermints. On paper or 3d target you don't have to worry about crippledd or unrecovered animals.
    My theroy on archery practice is, practice at max. hunting range and beyond. Then when the shot arizes at 20,30,and 40yds. It will come much easier.
    If the former post seamed that I was advicating that archey equipment was intended as long range hunting equipment plaease forgive me. It Is Not. But practice can make one very efficent with their their equipment when used for its intended use.
    As I say FORGIVE ME IF IT SEAMED MISLEADING.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never hunted with one, but have shot a few. Daddy shot a PSE Foxfire for years and killed several. My brother has a browning and also killed several. He let the limb hit a tree once and it bout broke his jaw, but he ain't the sharpest tack in the box either. If they are legal and ya wanna shoot one, by all means go for it.