Crossbow question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by simpleokie, Aug 29, 2009.

1. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    My daughter is in a wheelchair and I've taken her hunting with me since she was about 4, she shot her first deer last yr, with the help of a guide, he basically pulled the trigger for her, but her problem isn't that she cant aim and shoot, it's that the noise of the gun scares her and causes her to jump. Its just a part of her condition. (CP) She has been shooting a bb gun with a red dot scope for years and is really a good aim, so I think I'll try to get her a crossbow this year.

Has anyone tried those cheap 150 & 180 lb crossbows you find on ebay?

They are cheap I'm sure, but I just dont have the money to spend on something she may not be able to use. Anyone have any experience with them?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i haven't tried them. i just wanted to say my hat's off to you in pursuing hunting with your daughter even through such difficult circumstances. i hope you find the right setup!

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I havent tried those particular ones but we set up a crossbow for my ex father in law before he passed away and it wasnt that expensive. Wooden stock with recurve limbs. It was about 175lbs. Aluminum bolts(cut down from a few of my old arrows) and a few of my old Muzzys, a used red dot scope, I think we had $200 in the whole set up? Got it at a pawn shop. He took several deer and turkeys with it. Good Luck

4. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    Thanks Brad, Im thinking thats about what she will need. Probably set up on a feeder or wheat field and hope for a 20 yard shot. Thats about the range of $ Id like to spend too.