Crossbow Help

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by savage308, Sep 21, 2006.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    The local lake I'm fishing is being over run with gar. I was considering buying a crossbow and reel to see if I can catch some of them as they are hard to get on a hook. Could anyone suggest a particular brand or place to buy one at? The ones I looked at Walmart the other day were $220 and up. This seemed kind of steep. Is that what new ones go for? I don't think I want to pay that much to find out if this is something I want to try. Any help would be appreciated.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont know much about crossbows since the season here is so limited on using them. I have priced them before and they can be as expensive as compounds. I would be leary buying one at walmart though, try some local archery shops to at least shop around and learn a ilttle about them. Then you should be able to tell whether the wally world one will meet your needs.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I'm going to visit a local archery shop today. Seeing them in walmart is what reminded me I wanted to look into it. I'm prolly not going to ever use it for anything but shooting a few gar and i'm sure it won't get used much for that. Just thought it might be another route to get them toothy critters. reps for the reply.

4. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I bought one from wally world a few years ago, never downed a deer with it, sold it and the man I sold it to shot one the first day out with it. A double lung shot at 35 yards. He said it was extremely accurate. I could hit the bottom of a beer can at 25 yards with it.

5. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    horton makes one of the best crossbows on the market ranging from low 200's up to 600.don't buy barnett.you can usually find them in the classifieds pretty cheap if your not going to use it that much

6. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would have to agree with Kevin.I bought my son a Horton Yukon,that is their bottom line bow and it shoots fantastic.I took it out one when my son didnt want to go and baptised it.My son was a little upset at me.LOLHorton is the best in my book.Check out the Yukon.

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Crossbows come in all price ranges.

If you want the best, and you got money, it would probably be a Tenpoint, my oppinion only. Tenpoint is made by Mr. Hunter, who worked for Browning for a long time and designed their Horton crossbows. He then started his own company called HUNTER'S. Browning threatened suite so he renamed his company to Tenpoint. But, I ramble..

If you just going to shoot gar, buy a used bow. I use a recurve for fish myself but crossbow would work. But becarefull in rigging the arrow. I am not sure how to rig afish arrow for a crossbow.

Robert

8. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    You could look at local pawn shops. Sometimes they have older models cheap. grizzly