Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fishermen,

I started going regularly fishing every weekend from the bank at Cross Creek near Cumberland City. So far I've got few pan size channel catfish, a buffalo fish, a buzzilion blugills and a drum fish.
Does anybody knows if blues and flatheads are present in the area? I am not sure if there are any so I am asking in advance. Also is it better to use skipjacks or blugills as bait for catfish? so far I have been using red worms and chicken liver.
Thank for the reply.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,244 Posts
Catfish are present all over that river and so can be anywhere at any time.
Redworms and livers are not your best bet for flatheads and blues. My first choice would be fresh skips, next would be fresh shad then frozen skip. Then it would be fresh cut bluegill or even live bluegill if you can place one adjacent to some timber.
Good luck,

...W

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,070 Posts
Good advise above,
Larger cats prefer fish to eat. At a minimum. Id catch me a couple of gills and put out one cut and one live.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Master_Cat, I will look into going there as it is near Ft Campbell sort of; my question is: is it open to the public? I read a few articles stating that is it permanently closed and handed over to the US Army Enginera. It that true or can I still go there and fish?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advise above,
Larger cats prefer fish to eat. At a minimum. Id catch me a couple of gills and put out one cut and one live.
Hello,
I did try with cut blugill but with no results; I got a heavy bite but I saw a small gar and an alligator snapping turtle nearby so I suspect it was one of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Catfish are present all over that river and so can be anywhere at any time.
Redworms and livers are not your best bet for flatheads and blues. My first choice would be fresh skips, next would be fresh shad then frozen skip. Then it would be fresh cut bluegill or even live bluegill if you can place one adjacent to some timber.
Good luck,

...W
Thank!
So red worms and liver are usually for small channels and fish are for bigger blues and flats? I was wondering if near the steam plant in Cumberland city there are blues and flats as I only seems to get 3-4 LBS channels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts