Cross Bow Versus Compound

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by billNpam, Aug 29, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have recently purchased a Horton 175 LB crossbow and have been getting some hassel from some of my hunting buddies that use Compound Bows saying that it is not really Bow hunting and that it should only be used during gun season. I was curious on your thoughts?

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here in iowa you can use one if you have a handicapp. I hope that is not your case. Id say if its legal and you feel more comfortable using it over a conventional bow go for it!! I remember when I use to raise cane with my buddies when the first new fangled , out or rambo movie compound bows were being used instead of my fred bear kodiak recurve. I think I like your buddies!!

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I say use what you want, if those friends of yours want to really bow hunt Id ask where their long bows and recurves were. Last time I checked a cross bow had the word bow in it the same as compound bow.

4. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I had a 5year permit because of a broken wrist , I used a crosbow during that time ,it shoots 325 ft per sec. and has a scope . It is a very effective bow , however it requires alot of practice to shoot it accurately and I stayed within 35 yds. of my target .I would say a compound bow is as good with a experienced archer !

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in Oklahoma you have to also have a handicap to use a crossbow. My buddies are also giving me a hard time, but at least now I can boy hunt again. I'm not real big on bowhunting, but it gives me alot more time in the woods and more chances at a deer. The effectiveness is exactly the same as a conventional bow. You also have to practice with it like you do with a regular bow. The only difference in them is the mechanical hold back on the string.

If people don't think that using a crossbow is bow hunting, then they're narrow and simple minded. They can hunt with what they like for the reasons it makes them feel good. We can use what we want, or have to, for our reasons. I like using a regular bow, but have hand and shoulder problems that keep me from using one. Does that mean I'm less a man, or hunter, or should stay out of the woods and leave it to those who can use one? NO!

I'm just thankful that my state allows people with physical impairments to use alternate equipment so they can continue to enjoy thier sport. I also have the choice to not hunt with people who are that shallow. Hunting for me is a tradition, relaxation and a chance for healty meat for my family. It's not to build my ego or a chance to feel "macho"!

6. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    IN louisiana, you have to be handicap, or over 65 I think, but I'd love to shoot one.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    In Arkansa both are legal. Ive used both and I agree with the above post that anyone that doesn't think it is right to use a crossbow needs to be shooting a long bow and leave those fancy compounds for 3-d shooting only. The new bows will shoot further and are more accurate with practice than a crossbow. I disagree with some of the above posts about having to practice a lot with the crossbow. After you get the crossbow sighted in and don't take shots past 30 yards then that IMHO is the only advantage of using a crossbow is you can just grab it and go hunting.

8. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    BIll go ahead an use that crossbow and tell em to kiss yo azz....lol. What the ignorant does not know is that a crossbow has only a very slight edge over the compound and that is only a movement thing. The crossbow is already cocked and they have to draw the compound.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Really Have nothing else to add don't want to get started on it, I also hunt with a X-bow, because I have no other choice and I am glad that Il. allows me to. I would question them "buddies" that think you have some type of "advantage" over them, not sure I would want to be in the same woods they are..... Never have found the "advantage" yet, after 10 years, crossbow is more awkward than a compound, weighs more, make more noise etc..... and Sorry but you just don't pick up a crossbow and start hitting yer mark, besides the last time I look at compounds and all the goodies for them, there was a H3ll of alot more than you are ever gonna get for a crossbow. Most of the answers I have received is that Compound hunters think you are shooting a rifle.... well Sorry NO DEAL! and your not going to making any ethical shot from a cross bow over 35 yards IMO.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I use both here in Va. They just made the crossbow legal here a couple of years back. Before that you had to be disabled to hurt big game with a crossbow. The same close range and skill still applies when it comes to any bow hunting. The main difference is time on the practice range. You still need practice with both, just not as much with the cross bow. Also the crossbow is a lot easier to hold at full draw. :smile2:
    Your friends are only busting your chops because they don't have a crossbow yet. At least that was the case with most of my friends.:big_smile:

Hunt with what you have the best chance of making a clean kill shot and not wasting the animal. Out of respect for the animal, we owe them that much. Just my 2cents.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Are they giving you some funnin or are they serious? At our deer camp if your are thin skinned we pick on ya even more but its all in fun!! I remember when Robbie showed up with a 2 piece homemade longbow and cedar arrows. (Robbie is a full blooded indian) the bow was a thing of beauty and the arrows were fletched with wild turkey feathers. It was just a piece of artwork to all of us. But that being said and us are all good friends and all have been the butt of many jokes. That afternoon the rest of us met on the trail and it was decided to make Robbie a warbonnet made out of what ever feathers we could find!! That night we snuck our bonnet and delicately placed it with his bow. Beings this is a family website I cant tell you what he said alot was in some foriegn language to us but I can tell you I now know the meaning of "warpath". We thought we had finally crossed the line on joking but the joke was on us. His warpath act was just that!! But he had us all freaked out!! Each and every year since then he shows up in his "bonnet" and we all laugh and wonder who and what is next!!

12. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    The bad thing about a crossbow is soempeople try to take a shot that is way to far, and end up with a bad hit on a deer. Some peopel think you that a 100 yard shot is easy for a crossbow. That is not the case, now I don't know what the range for a crossbow is, but 100 yards is way to far for any kind of arrow, to many things can happen from the time you pull the triger, to the time the bolt hits the deer.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Actually, a crossbow bolt will loose energy faster than an arrow out of a bow. I've made clean 40 yard shots at deer with my bow, and seen them up to 53 yards. I wouldn't try that with my crossbow,even though it's the fastest one they make. I'd be hard pressed to try for anything over 35 yards. 40 yards would be my absolute max, but then everything will have to be perfect for me to take the shot.

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think that could be said of any weapon. Knowing your weapon whether it be recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow, rifle or muzzle loader is a must for any responsible hunter. Blaming the crossbow always seemed like a cop out to me that compound bow hunters used as an excuse to keep things the way they want. Im sure theres an idiot somewhere that might think a 100 yards is possible with a compound, hopefully they practice and learn better. Im not going to blame the bow and want everyone to use a rifle. Im sure there are plenty of bad shots with a bow of any kind, muzzle loader or rifle because of the user not the weapon.

15. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'm not blaming the crossbow, but people think that cause it looks like a rifle, it can shoot farther. Then, you put a scope on it, and they try bad shots. Now I'm not sayin that everybody tries to do that, but some do.

16. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought me a PSE Rattler, 165lb crossbow a few months ago, and I'm going to give it a go this fall. Later Andy

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I invested in the Excaliber crossbow. It cost a little more than the others, but is the fastest and flatest shooting, and it has regular recurve limbs. There's no wheels, cams, or anything else to go out of time. It's very simple and strong! I like shooting it, but don't see any advantage in accuracy over the groups I used to get with my compound bow inside 40 yards.

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    My opinion(for what it's worth) is if it's a legal means of taking game and you enjoy it then awesome..go for it. As long as your out hunting and introducing the next generation to hunting it's all good brother. Beyond all the equipment arguments, we are all out there for the same reasons (I think?) Being in the outdoors, enjoying nature and friends, the thrill of hunting one very smart creature and ultimatley providing some scrumdiddlyumtious grub for our families. Don't let anyone give you any grief, just cause it's not their way doesn't mean it wrong. Just be as proficient as you can be with the method you chose and go huntin...

Good Luck to ya...:wink:

mike

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's got to be the best, most articulate statement about the subjece I've read yet! GREAT POST!!!!!!!

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ha, Ha, ...I feel the same way about wheel bows! We have lost the primitive aspect of bow hunting, to some degree. After shooting over 150 deer with a stick bow, I don't see the need for all the gismo's and gadets. Who cares about putting 5 arrows in a three inch circle at 50-60 yards? Bow hunting is about getting CLOSE to deer. Compounds and cross bows are not primitive weapons. A $1000 Matthews won't make someone a better hunter.