croaker reports?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by muzkrat, May 27, 2008.

1. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    anybody been croaker fishing yet? if so where and how many and how big. itching to go to the york river soon.

2. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have been couple of times over the past month and done real well. They have been biting on the York for about a month and now the weather is heating up they should realy start rock'n.

I have been putting in at Croaker landing and pretty much going straight out to the first bouy on the right. But I have moved around and seem to be catching them everywhere.

Good luck and keep me informed how you do......you can message me I like to take my 6yr old, he loves it ...No matter how big they are he thinks it's bigger than the last one and much bigger than the one I just caught.

3. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    All the croakers I have been catching have been from 10-14 inches.. in my opinion are small. The water is still to fresh and the water temp is still not to there likings... Some people might say 14 inch croakers are big, but when they are in none smaller then 16 go in my cooler... When I was boarded by the marina police 2 weeks ago he agreed with me on the temp and too much freshwater... We need the rain to stop and the water temp to rise for some decent croakers. Anyone keeping any croakers under 14 inchs in doing nothing but damaging the future croaker harvest.. In my opinion it seems we are almost a month off in season from this time last year, this is just my 2cents.....

Mike... AKA... Cameron Krazie

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Croakers that aren't golden yellow and biggggggg are nothing but bait.

A few years ago, you were almost guaranteed a citation every trip to West Point. I have not caught a biggun in three or four years.:sad2:

5. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    We went to Croaker toaday and it started real slow, once the tide changed the bite was real good, we kept close to 30 for a friend for his churchs' fish fry and kept over a dozen in the 2 lb range.
    Great day on the water.
    Spent the day with my dad, mom, brother and sister.

Thanked the Lord for a safe and wonderful day.:big_smile:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    All the info I need to get me moving. I think I will go Wednesday.:big_smile:

7. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Let me know how you do.:big_smile:

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Man, I look at your avatars...I'm getting dizzy looking at those masterful hawgs y'all are holding! :eek:oooh:

I think that I'm going to have to look one of you up. First of all, you know what you are doing. Second, you seem to be a great bunch of guys. You can't beat that! :cool2:

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    J, you need to visit the James. All those pigs were taken from the James.

10. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    just ask when you are ready to go to the james joel. thats what i did and justlearning was kind enough to take me out and show me the ropes and put me on my PB hawg. a lot of good fishermen on here that will do the same for you.

11. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    thanks for the reports on the croakers. i have to agree that it seems to much fresh water and cool water seems to keep the big ones out of the rivers. i saw that happen a couple years back before the drought kicked in. nothing like double hooking a couple 2+ lb croakers. i hope to go to the york soon will keep posted and you guys do the same. thanks

12. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    My boss went last Friday and said the action was a plenty but sizes were small. I'll probably head back down this w.end.
    If anyone goes b4 then let me know how ya did.

shots from my last trip

Attached Files:

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fished Saturday evening at West Point. It Stunk!! 3 dinko Croaks

Today went to the Rappahannock at Waterview and steady caught Croakers, Spot, White perch, and junior blue cats. Fished from dawn until 12:30 PM

14. maupin

maupin New Member

State:
    virginia
    I am heading to west point sun. Anybody know how the bite is, and how far down from the bridge do you have to go to get in the croakers. Also does anybody know where to get any live peeler crabs between richmond and west point. Thanks.

15. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    I'm putting in @ croaker landing tomorrow. I have not been down in a few weeks so I dont know how the bite is....there is only one way to find out.

As for bait Popes is the only store that I know of on that side of town. If they have Peelers or not I dont know. Good luck hope to see ya tomorrow.

16. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Id be happy, no very happy to catch a cat half the size of thiers:smile2:

17. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    I went to Croaker landing and lauched 6am fished till 11:30am and caught all small fish. Out of 40 or so 11 keepers and nothing over 1.5 lbs.

It has realy slowed down since I went 3 or 4 weeks ago. Where did they go?

If anyone knows, let me in!

Happy 4th to all.:cool2:

18. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't remember where I read it,,,,but it went something like this. Croakers go upstream in early spring then around mid June or so they head back to the river mouthes and bay. My brothers are killing big ones in the mouth of the James. My buddies from VA Beach are catching pretty good off Ocean View.