Critters are eating my garden

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by littleman, Aug 19, 2009.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    For the last few weeks I have been having a lot of troubles with my garden. Everyday I go out there, I find a dozen tomatoes and several melons half eaten. Not only that, but the plants themselves are wrecked. They look like they have been smashed and flatten. I thought at first it was a groundhog or some other critter. So I put up an electric fence a few inches off the ground. When that didn't work I figured what ever it was, was jumping over the fence. So I added another round of wire about a foot above the first. A few days later I had to add a third line of wire above the other two. And I still would go out every morning to find my garden trashed.
    I finally found out what has been wrecking my hard work. I went out to the garden tonight just before dark and found 6 turkeys in my garden(2 adults, 4 juveniles). They got two more melons and a couple more tomatoes. Has anyone ever heard of turkeys bothering gardens? And does anyone have any ideas on how to keep them out?:confused2:

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got a great idea how to solve that problem and put some meat on the table as well. A shot gun works wonders. Never have heard of turkeys eating at night tho, that is weird. Turkeys should be like a clock, the should be in the roost at night. That part is really weird. Good luck on keeping them pesky critters out.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    get a couple of mouse traps and set em up... be sure to tie em down real good......

You'll catch em for sure.... or the sore foot will remind them...

Good luck Tricia

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Turkey's like any animal will take advantage at a easy meal..There is no time set to eat free food ..As far as dealing with them:big_smile:Depend's where you live at ....a pellet gun to the head will take them down one by one.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    unless they are flying from a tree into your garden,a fence made of hogwire should do the trick. I doubtthey would hop the fence ,they would much rather walk through. around here if you have a melon patch the coyotes seem to know just when its picking time,its nothing to have an empty rind still on the vine.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    :002:...Hmmm....Dressing???

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    go get ya a bottle of the cheapest/foul smellin perfume/tiolet water ans spray genouresley round yer garden......