Critter camera

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cheapNdisgusting, Jan 9, 2010.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I'm in the SW corner of Bollinger county, in southeast Mo. I have 2 trail cameras that have been in use for just over a year. I have thousands of pictures of deer, raccoons, turkeys, skunks, opossums, dogs, coyotes, cats, two Bobcats, a couple trespassers, and birds of all kinds.

When I go to town I hear people talk about bears, wild hogs, and mountain lions. It is always "ole Earl" saw one or my neighbor or whatever.

I've been here on the Castor river since 1980 and have seen a few mountain lion TRACKS but no lion. I saw a bear upriver at dawn crossing the road probably 10 years ago. Thats it. No pictures of bears - mountain lions - or hogs.

Is there anyone that has first hand knowledge or pictures of bears - mountain lions - or hogs that is IN Missouri? I know they are here but where? I'm not asking to hunt, just want to know where they are.

Thanks.

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    thats a good post. i hope u get several replies back id like to know them answers myself. i have also heard about bears and such but never seen any.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good post Russell. Should be interesting. Hope everyone puts up some trail cam pics of the unusuall.

4. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    1st. picture is a food plot.

2nd. Coyote

3rd. picture is a 2 day old fawn. My profile picture is this same fawn at 3 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    2005 I think the new middle school was put on lock down and the local police were called due to a sow and cubs crossing the property for more information contact the St. James police department.
    As far as big cats I have seen 2 in my lifetime so far in Mo. We treed one with coon hounds as a teenager in carter county mo scared the crap out of me and my friend all we had was a single shot 22 on us. Audrige vally was the place. The other I seen crossing the road in the national forest by Bunker Mo around 2001.
    they are here and the number will grow with time. Bears are sighted often now in south eastern Mo. As far as big cats they wander into the state but I am not shure if we have a breeding population yet.

6. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
  7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Great post Russel. I cant wait to see what shows up. Looks like that coyote looks like he has his sites on something.

Tom

8. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    ive never had anything unusual on my cameras. the only predators i get pictures of are coyotes. this year we had bobcat tracks all over our farm but even having two cameras out i couldnt get any pics of it. heres one of the the better coyote pictures from last year

Attached Files:

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Forgot to post that back in 2003 or 2004 there was talk about a lion around my farm. I did not believe it until I saw its tracks and found a doe the it had killed. Glad it is gone boy deer hunting was hard at that time.

Tom

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I had some in iowa right near my house..But i deleted them off of my e-mail on accident...Other wise i would post them...

11. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Two years ago, my wife and I were fishing Stockton on my favorite part of the lake and she started jumping up and down and pointing to the bank, the bank was a bluff and on one of the boulders were 2 yearling mountian lions sitting there looking at us, just looking at us, and then they turned and WERE GONE. talked to a MCA and he stated that we were 4th that had seen the cubs.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2008/01/10.htm

"We learned that the couple had tried to rid themselves of the problem by baiting the bear with dog food that they had placed in the back of a pickup truck. While the bear was busy feeding, the husband tried to drive off with it. Of course, as soon as the truck started moving, the bear jumped out."

lol. It was worth a try.

13. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Had some what?

14. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    How bout the trespassers? Maybe someone can recognize them for ya.

I've seen a bear cross the road in front of me in Ripley County a couple of years ago. No pics.

15. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    No camera but we saw a mt lyon go through my Moms yard on KK. One of the guys that lives off of KK took pictures of one drinking out of his birdbath a couple winters ago.

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    my dad and a buddy found 2 neat things while mushroom hunting around truman

1 time dad found 2 baby bobcats still alive

then 1 time they found a dead doe dad said around 80 lbs or so he thinks about 15 foot up in a tree over a limb
    well only thing could of done that was a mountian lion

I believe ive seen 2 differnt mnt lion tracks in my life
    first 1 was down at the farm i grew up on at a pond in the spill way it was way to large for a dog track
    the 2nd 1 was down on lake of the ozarks river bank .

I know this was not on trail cams but thought i would share

thanks for this thread its pretty darn neat !!!!

17. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Is this the KK by wapepello lake?

18. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    No its the KK off 7 Hiway in Warsaw Mo.

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Interesting thread. My buddy saw a mountain lion right where 65 hwy and 24 hwy meet in Waverly Missouri. It was 10 ft in front of the truck and his wife saw it too, she was in the car behind him. The Conservation officer said that there are no mountain lions in Missouri. Here are some pics my dad got in Kansas

Attached Files:

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo