Critique my set-up please

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Dave200518, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    Ok everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. After seeing all of the big fish everybody's catching, I finally got the itch.

So here is my setup.
    I am from michigan and fish a river that is VERY slow, VERY shallow (the average depth is around 2ft.), and VERY narrow. I will also be fishing the bank.
    I have a HUGE rod and HUGE open faced reel with 50 lb. spider wire. I will be using bluegills anywhere from 4-10 inches. I was just planning on doing a 3-way swivelle with a bell sinker ect, ect.
    Now my question is, Do I leave the bail open or closed when I am fishing for flatties? When they slam my bait do I set the hook right away or do I let the fish take the bait?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    It would be nice if your reel has a baitrunner on it that way when the fish picks up the bait it wont rip your rod into the water and it makes bites easier to determine.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I fish for flats with a non bait runner spinning reel, I close the bail . If you are watching you will see the hit in plenty of time to pickup the rod. I don't let the fish run , when i feel they have it I set the hook , the smaller the fish the longer they take to get a bigger bait in.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if i had to use a spining reel i would loosen the drag enough to let line out without loosing my pole. as soon as nature called ,well you know.

5. Dave200518

Dave200518 New Member

State:
    Ashley, Michigan
    so if I buy a closed faced reel am I looking for one that has a bait clicker or is this different than what you guys are talking about.

Great replys, keep em coming

Dave

6. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
  7. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    use it till you find one of the bait clikers you can afford ,gust get out there and hookthem and hold onnnnnnn......o i forgot ......set the hook :smile2::tounge_out:

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    your set up sounds pretty good. make sure you fish the deeper pools and any structure that is there. good luck and hope you tear into them

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i just loosen my drag enuff to let the fish take it...not to loose or else you will end up with a ratsnest if ya get ahold of somthin that hauls down the river at top speed

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Like an earlier post said. Loosen the drag. I started out that way the first 2 yrs. Big plastic shakespere spinning reel combos from wally world lol. I thought they could handel any fish. I had always used zebco 33's before but I knew I couldn't get 30 or 40lb line on them. They only lasted the 2 yrs. But I learned alot about flatheads and the kind of gear needed to catch them.

Take a hachet to the river with you and cut some 4 or 5ft long branches with a Y at the top. Pound them into the bank so they wont tip easily when you push on them. Then you can prop your rod up high and the tip will flex good when a flat pulls on the line. The weight of the reel and the steep angle make it hard for you to lose your rod. And you can keep you drag a little tighter this way to prevent a birds nest if you get a slamming run.

When a flat starts running with the bait, immediately pick up the rod without changing the tension on the line. Slowly crank down your drag and set the hook. DO NOT let them run. Any decent flat around 5lb will engulf a bait. They don't pick at it they eat it lol. You might have to do some major scouting though cause 2ft deep water most likely won't have much wood structure. Look for a bend or other holes. Or fish as close to them as you can get.

11. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw a trick once that I have never used because all of my reels have baitclickers . You can leave the bail open , pull enough line out to reach the ground after your rod is in its rod holder . Then lay a stick on the line . when a fish hits it supposed to be able to knock the stick off the line and run with the bait.

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Here on the Colorado river we all seem to fish the same way. If it doesn't have the clicker then we loosen the drag up all the way and use an egg sinker so they can run with it without too much resistance. The theory is that sometimes they grab it and move to another spot to swallow it and setting the hook to early just rips the back out of your bait. You let them run until they stop then when they move again set the hook. With big fish the bait is usually all the way down in there gullet by the time u've picked up your pole but this system helps to hook the smaller ones.

13. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    On my round reels that dont have a clicker(just one) I set the knob tight(cast knob) and put the reel in free spool when I set it down so they cant give me a supper backlash and pull my rod in. On my spinning I just leave the bail open so it dont get drug in the drink.:big_smile:

14. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    here,s a cool trick if i can explain it right.take a rubber band and slide it up your rod just past your reel.double it up a couple times so it is tight on the grip of the rod.take a wooden matchstick and slide it under the rubber band-it should fit tightly.open the bail on your reel and pull the line tight and slide it under the match stick.the idea is you can see a bite because your line is tense but a big fish wont take your pole home to add to the other tackle in his collection!hope i helped-good luck.

15. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois

+1...I always let them run with the bait before i set the hook.I want to make sure that the part of the Bluegill where my hook is at is inside their mouth.If you set it too early,and the fish didnt engulf the bait,you take that chance of loosing the fish.

But there are times when they will hit it hard and just sit there.Thats when you have to watch your rod tip.You can usually tell if its the bluegill moving or the rod pumping up and down from a Flathead.If thats the case...i just sit there and wait until he moves or i wait a bit and slowly lift my rod tip to see if there is any pressure then i set the hook.The best advice i can give you is that...always pay attention to your rod tip and dont rely too much on clickers or other gadgets.

16. Light

Light New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usualy set my drag down a bit...test it by pullin on my line so that I know it wont go in the water if pulled to hard...but tight enough where I wont get a rats nest....just dont forget to tighten the drag b4 setting the hook....lol

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dave, make your self a set of these and tight line! http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14681
    Sometimes it is just a slight bump, some times its a pole bender, but your rod wont go any where! The biggest for me this year was a 38# Flat and my rod hardly moved at all. I picked it up and waited five minutes before she decided to move on. lol there is nothing like it.
    Good luck bro.!:big_smile:

18. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Try this first you definately need a rod holder of any sort an improvement on an already suggested method cast , loosen drag , pull of enough line to hang to the ground take yourself a regular ball or cigar style float and attach to the hanging line in the slip float position . There are two holes in the bottom of the float where it attaches to the line one that clamps tight and a shallow hole that leaves the clip with a small loop in it use the shallow hole , what will happen is when you have a take the float will rise to the pole you will have time to take your pole to hand and wait for a good time to strike you don't have to take the foat off to fight if time does not permit becuase the float is in the slip position the line will pass through it , remove when it's easiet for you to do so . You can use weighted or unweighted i personally prefer weighted foam types it helps to differentiate a bite or current if you're using anything other than live bait , live bait will puul the line making it look like a take we use this method at times salmon fishing the river in winter when its to cold to hold a rod , it works well with spawn sacs and it should work for you also .