Criteria for a good concealed carry weapon?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Believer, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I will be moving soon to a state which allows concealed carry and will definitely be applying for the pemit.

I am not asking what gun is the best to carry (that's a LOADED question) but I am curious about the criteria for a good gun. I know that the main thing is I must be comfortable with it, but what else should I be concerned with?

Thanks!

Eric

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have had a ccp for 6 yrs or so. I have quite a few handguns and have carried all the time for 2 months. The rest of the time I tried this and that. I highly recommend a pistol less than 1" wide with a short barrel and handle. This means the .380's and 32's, Kel-Tech, Ruger, Beretta. I like to wear jeans and a T-shirt and these work. If you want to wear a 5-11 tactical vest, then you can go a with the 5 shot revolvers, etc. The t-shirt type with built in holster are hot im the summer. With a small, slim auto, you can carry in your jeans pocket, using a wallet type holster. I have a SIG 229 that I love, but have never found a comfortable way to carry it. I think it best to keep it small and have it you. As they say,"The best gun to have in a gun fight is the one you have with you." Hope this helps, my opinion, always worth what it costs.

Jim

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    If you get an auto don't get a .25 get at least a .32 . In a revolver a .357
    is hard to beat. If the noise and recoil of the .357 is to much you can
    always shoot .38 specials in the .357, but you have the magnum capability
    if you want it.

4. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    A big consideration is where you are moving? In the winter months you can carry a shot gun under your close in some places and no one would notice. I lived in Florida and carries a NAA 22 mag revolver. You could drop it in the pocket of a pair of shorts and no one could see it. If I was wearing thicker clothes it would have been a larger gun. I liked the KelTec 32 that a Sheriff friend used as a back up. During the Winter when I wore a thicker jacket I carried a modified Ruger KP90 or a 1911 in shoulder tactical holster.
    For an in between I would look at a hammer less 38 or small frame 9mm or better yet a 357sig.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a 40 cal. kel-tec with a belt clip attached and carry that all the time, conceals easy cliped on pants or shorts with a t-shirt also fits in all my jackets that have an inside pocket. and the 9 mm kel-tec is even smaller

6. lake2river

lake2river New Member

State:
    Patriot, Indiana
    Eric, if you're moving to Indiana by any chance...welcome.

If the gun is for personal protection, then to me the biggest criteria is ease of function. Many of the guns listed above fit that well.

Just don't go gun shopping with me. The two times I went to get a small concealable handgun, I ended up with a SW 44 magnum and a Benelli pistol grip shotgun. :0a28:

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Nope, not Indiana. I'm headed to Arkansas.

You're right, I don't want to go shopping with you, anything with Benelli on it is out of my price range! :big_smile:

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    So many variables to evaluate. Ive been wanting a new pistol for home and CCW, Ive changed my mind so many times I dont know what to buy. Lately Ive been thinking Barreta PX4 storm in .45 ACP just because it fits my hand so well. That would be my first choice is that it just fits my hands well over brand or looks. I also like .45 ACP that is my favorite caliber for close range. I read somewhere that if you had a choice of hitting someone with a coffee cup or a coffe can full of concrete what would you choose? Hope this helps.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only thing I would add is after you choose "practice"! And not jus standing shooting at a target or from a bench rest. No one shoots from either of those positions if the need would arise. Learn to shoot with your left hand if right handed and right had if left handed, you never know what could happen. Also shoot from laying, kneeling and from around and through obstacles. It does make a big difference on your perceived target. Good luck and enjoy your self.

10. rcjoyner

rcjoyner New Member

State:
    tn
    i got a ruger lcp a week ago. shot it last weekend - slick - does anyone have a suggestion for a front pocket holster??

the little booger is smaller than the palm of my hand and thinner.

shoots accurate from 20 ft or closer. not a fun gun to shoot - very light and you know when it touches off a round.

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

12. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK

I have a holster from http://www.pocketholsters.com/ for my Kel-Tec that I use every day.

13. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes #10, I think. I had to cut a little stitching for my LCP to go all the way to the bottom.

Jim

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I carry mine in a size 2, Uncle Mikes.