Crippled up:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Jun 23, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Blew my back out a year ago last spring and had surgery about this time last year. I own a piece of property that I have enjoyed traversing for 23 years. mostly timber, with logging trails or paths I have created. 3 to 1 slopes, rock, some crossable water, about 65 acres of Govt. ground setaside. If I can't get out to spray, look for mushrooms, kill poachers or just to see the sun come up I might as well move to town. Problem is I can't steer a 4-wheeler anymore. Don't have the strength to turn the handlebars on the puppy. My wife and I have been investigating utility vehicles e.g. John Deere Gator, Kawasaki Mule and Polaris. Right now I use a skid steer to get around. Don't like the Gator because I don't trust the brakes. The Mule is very interesting but real pricey and I haven't been on a Polaris. I don't cowboy anything anymore so speed is of no importance. Stability, ease of use and starting in the winter are my main concerns. Have any of you folks had experiences with them that might be helpful in making a decision? It's either one of these things or buy a wimp golf cart and move to town. John

2. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Saw an ad the other day about a 4 wheeler that had power steering but can't remeber which brand it was. Might be an option if we can figure out which one.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, [SIZE=-1]2007 Yamaha Grizzly has power steering.
    [/SIZE]

4. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    honda 500 foremans have power sterring also now :big_smile:

5. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    honda 500 foremans have power steering also now :big_smile:

6. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I'd suggest finding a polarsis dealer that doesn't mind you taking a spin on one of their utility vechiles. I like their suspension and they can take a beating. Utility vechiles are a lot eaiser to get on and off of , more stable, and the misses likes the car friendly controls, ie. no handle bar brake lever, no clutch lever, not a lot of shifting, or not bieng able to get a four wheeler into reverse. She can just get in and go with out a 5 min. instruction course from the guy she knows she is smarter than.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Mules surprised me by carrying a a large round bail of hay on the back of it.
    But on the other hand I can show you a pile of Mules that couldnt cut farm life. The Polaris and John Deere arent going to be much different I wouldnt imagine.
    Those things might be OK for a large yard but you cant keep them running on a hog farm. When it comes to real work evary day they arent up to the task. Those things are better suited for mama and the kids to ride around.

Surprisingly what does hold up better then anything is a plain old electric golf cart and with the options available for them things these you can do about anything you want to with one including run 80 MPH on the electric motor if you got the guts. Mechanically there aint a whole lot to mess up. They are pretty simple machines. Had an uncle in his late years do some quail hunting from one. Not the ideal way to quail hunt but when you are in your mid eighties, can hardly walk, and you've quail hunted every year since you were 6 years old, its better then sitting at home.

There is no better test bed for cars , trucks, tractors, and these city slicker pickups then a hog farm.
    I think about every brand of truck and toy has been run here. The graveyard covers acres, the survivors, square feet.
    There are Toyota pickups running around here that the bed literally fell off of when it rotted off and the floor boards are long gone but they still run.
    And the different modes of quick transportation like 4 wheelers, golf carts, Mules, ect have all been tried. Its the 3000 dollar or less golf carts that are still running years later, not the 12,000 dollar creation from Polaris or Kawasuki.
    Do a google on golf cart accesories. I think you'll be surprised whats offered these days.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    We had 4wheelers for many years. hondas was my choice and much good luck with them. Went on many trail rides, parks/camping for rides . lots of riding time with friends who had all brands. from our experience, honda has taken the most abuse and keeps on ticking. The most troublesome has been the polarsis . Course I guess it depends on how
    one maintains it. This is Just my experience and I'm not trying to put anyone's choice down or start a debate.

It's been a few years since we have been on rides etc. many upgrade changes have been made by all brands. I dont know results on other brands but I know I've ridden honda bikes to 4 wheelers since the 60's . Always dependable.
    I still have a 98 Honda foreman 400. Its ragged out, looks bad ( front plastic/rack gone ) , been run hard in rivers, mud and stuff, lot of hard miles on it, but still runs good. Got a cowboy this one to ride it. LOL. All I use it for now is, a little yard work, maybe ride back and forth to bank on lake lot. Once in a blue moon, I go check out pipe line/woods.

I would love to have a new one but price wise and little ridding now days, I got a pass. If I ever do get one, I would old man it on riding, it would last me rest of my life.
    BTW, I didn't know 4Wheelers's had power steering now. It dont get much easier than that. LOL.

I would also check into the golf cart , elect. rides.
    My Mom passed away in '03. She had an elect 3 wheel scooter type thing. Turns on a dime, goes through door ways etc. . Got a basket on it, swivel and adjustable seat. speed control, lights. one re- chargeable battery that will go 18 to 20 miles on a charge at smoking top speed of maybe 8mph. We use it all the time. Goes across yard, trails, hills etc. real good. It aint no 4wheeler but its cool, and very quite, no fuel. Still has same battery in it, which is getting old and speed has slowed down some. LOL.

What ever you get, take care of it and it will last a long time.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    John don't know how rugged yer place is, but ya might try the 2 wheel drive Gator, an see if the brakes aren't better for ya. I worked a few years for a motorcycle rights group & we used the Gators for "the largest midwest biker party in America"....I could tell a difference. Worked well on 300+ acres of partying bikers..and then later in a even larger place. Mark is right regards the golf carts also. They will do more than you think. But for goodness sakes don't talk about moving to the city! I have a cousin that has 200 acres an bad knees an he's got good service out of a 2 wheel drive Gator, for 6 years now.
    :smile2:

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They have these cool little things called a Hover 'Round made just for people like you with mobility problems.:big_smile:And if you have Medicaid, it may not cost you a penny.:eek:oooh:Just a thought.:wink:

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Kat in the hat that's Bad advice!!!I'm in a wheelchair and I know cause I've tryed that type powerchair and they won't even cross a level yard with out getting stuck.

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    LOL! Just a light hearted jab at the beetle.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would sincerely like to thank those of you who have responded. I just can't see that golf cart Mark suggested yet. Considering how I abuse and bury vehicles from bulldozers to lawn mowers, I somehow don't think the rescue squads would appreciate pullin me off a 50 foot bluff on a golf cart. I do however want to ask Mark if I can use his = (graveyards cover acres, survivors cover square feet) I really like that. Gonna use that somewhere in my meanderings. I will let you know what we decide to buy. NOW that that's out of the way - ol' Kat In The Hat, young feller. I realize the sincerity in your suggestion. However, I would pull myself along on my elbows before I got on one of those contraptions. We got a bag lady in town that uses one of those things, nothing against her here, of course. But I don't want to drag race her to the nearest dumpster. Besides, she can play the guitar better than you and I can.

14. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    i [ersonalily like the mule hun it may be pricey but for your back and all it is the best

15. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    LOL! That dragrace sure would be somethin' to see! Wonder if those things can pack the wheels. I'm sure with some slight modifications, you could lay some posi' up the street.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sorry I'm late weighing in...

I've had a Polaris 4wd Ranger (hillbilly golf cart) for 3 years. It's had nearly daily use on steep, rocky terrain, and still going strong.

If it gets stolen tonight, I will buy a new one tomorrow. They're that good.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Some of my best thoughts and rants flow from my finger tips after a couple of 1/5ths of Bavaria's best courtesy of monks that know what beer is and brew the best thought provoking beers known to the world.

Graveyards cover acres, survivors cover square feet was one of those thoughts. Maybe I will have that inscribed on my headstone.
    However, I like this one better.
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
    --General George S. Patton

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    John I do wish I could tell you what's the best to buy but I can't.I had to sell my land to get rid of a heavy debt load and all I have left is my yard so I got rid of my 4wheeler.I do get around on rough ground in my powerchair but it ain't one of them fancy things you see on TV but it looks like an old type wheelchair with batteries,gearboxs and drive wheels on it.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Update to original post dated 6-23-07:

Finally selected my "wheel chair". Can now go out again and finally see my woods. Nancy and I purchased a Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 EFI. It's ratings and performance outdid Mule 3010, Kubota RTV 900, Gator HPX, and the Rhino. We even checked out the electric golf cart that MarkJ suggested. Something made in Mississippi called the Bad Boy. The Polaris outdid all of them and it was cheaper than all of them.

We have begun re-opening the woods trails after a year of neglect. Skid steer, brush hog and chain saw. I didn't know Nancy could use a chain saw so well. The machine handles exceptionally well. Stable and an easy ride on my back. Got within 30 ft of two nursing does with a pair of spots each. Saw turkey, and the ginseng is coming along very well. I feel like I am human again. Got to figure out a better arrangement for my cup holders though. Have to figure out how to get an ice lined holder for my beer.

Thank's for your comments and suggestions previously. John

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That machine should provide you with years of good service. Glad you got something to get around in. Since you've been out of commission for a year then those poachers will have a surprise coming to them come fall:smile2:. Happy huntin:eek:oooh:.