Crimping

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by John6518, Jul 25, 2008.

1. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Friends--I am sick of tangled rigs in the current, tying knots, breaking off fish, etc. I got my off shore Bass pro shop catalouge and see they have crimpers that will work from 10 pound test all the way 500 pound test.

What's wrong with tying off your weight on bottom with a half-a## knot good enough to keep it on casting. Get it hung, tug hard and it will break--big deal. What I don't want to break off is the fish.

Then coming up the same line, making a loop, slipping over a crimping sleeve, and crimping it on? Then threading the loop though the hook eye and over the hook. No knot for the loop so line integrity is maintained.

No mess or fuss over a rig, got a loop for the hook, no knot to break or worry about, bada-bing.

What am I missing?

John

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'm not sure if I fully understand that rig, however I live by this rig in rocky areas. Mainline(80pd braid) to barrel swivel. Hook leader (80 lb braid) to the same eye of the swivel. On the other eye I use 25 lb mono to tie my weights on. I actually plan on them getting snagged.Called a sacrifice rig.

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I too use the sacrifice rig and find the loss of lead acceptable to losing the whole rig. I am going to try much longer leaders in a hight test fluro for abrasion, but will keep my 10# sacrifecer.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sounds good.

There are two kinds of sleeves...single and double, and each takes a different crimping tool. The double sleeves are generally held to be the stronger of the two.

Catfish Connection has both kinds of sleeves, and the appropriate crimping pliers for each. A Google search will turn up several sites with info on the proper technique for making solid connections.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    My crimpers are a 2 1/2 lb sledge hammer on the bottom, and a regular claw hammer for tapping the crimp down. The sledge is a great surface to put the uncrimped leader on and a couple of taps usually gets the job done. You very likely have these in your garage or toolbox...

Then you can spend the crimper money on hooks or line or something....:0a1: