Crickhopper

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Locke, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Locke

Locke New Member

State:
    IL
    Anyone try to have any of the crickhopper lures?
    They are topwater popping lures that resemble a cricket/grasshopper. They used to make them as crankbaits but it turned out that most people were only catching fish with it if they just let it sit on the surface and twitch it a little.

I've got a few medium size bass on it the first day I tried it but the last few times, I haven't got a single fish with it, so I had to switch back to the old plastic worm.

Anyone used these or had any luck with them?

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    welcome to the board. Remember the day you caught fish on that bait, remember everything, the water temp, color, bank and weather condition. No one bait will catch bass all the time. Go back to the bait when conditions are like that day, good luck

3. Locke

Locke New Member

State:
    IL
    I don't remember exactly everything about the day. I'll just try it everytime I go and if I start catching fish on it, I'll make a mental note on all of those things. Thanks

Anyone know the lure I'm talking about though? If so what type of days do you have the most sucess with it?

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jeremy, I've got a black crickhopper. I took my pocket knife and cut about half of the diving lip off of it so it don't go so deep and I've caught several fish with. I had forgotten about till you mentioned it. I always had good luck fishing it in ponds. I haven't been pond hopping in 3 or 4 years. Anyway, trim that lip back a little at a time till you get it to where it just barely goes under the water when you crank it slow and you will catch more fish with it. I did anyway.

st

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a couple I use with my ultralight tackle and in ponds. The colors are natural, brown and fire tiger. I have my best luck with them in spring and fall on calm days. early morning and night are also my best times of day. The colder it is the slower I fish it. Good luck

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Have Several That I Keep Handy For A Few Of The Ponds That I Go TO , The Bass Really Like Them, But When The Bass Quit Biting I Fall Back On The Trusted Rapala Minnow((silver And Black)

7. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    can you post a picturethanks

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

9. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks benji ,i seen them guess i need to try em expecialy the pop r style.

10. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a lure similar to that, only with a much smaller lip. I've had the most success letting it sit on top of water near weeds/trees or anywhere there is something on top of the water and just twitching it to get their attention. I try not to cover a lot of water, but let the bass come to the lure.

11. CATDUDE

CATDUDE New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use these seasonally. Around spawn when the bass are shallow, and after spawn, crickets, grasshoppers etc. will come to the waters edge and lay their eggs (where its moist). They hit'em hard at that time. And they still make these as topwater/shallow crank baits. But i agree they are a more useful topwater bait. Unfortuanately they dont produce for very long for me either. Later