crestliner or sea ark

Discussion in 'Boating' started by great pappy cat, Jan 28, 2008.

1. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Im in the market for a new boat.I almost decided on a sea ark 1872 mvjt 18ft long 95" beam 72" floor .125 hull with tunnel hull .125 thick.witha 90/65 2 stroke yamaha jet o/b.Ive been doin my research and found that the local anglers avoid this dealership like the plauge.I must say the staff rubbed me the wrong way my 1st 2 visits.I dont think I want to do buisness with them they call the owner cook the crook.I walked in thinking 15k was my budget that boat was goin to be 20k said and done with no extras.I can afford it but barely itll strap me to the wall for a long time.I found a crestliner in some local classifieds that is compareable to the sea arc.- 5k and + a ton of extras.I will use this rig to run a large shallow rock infested river, Start to guide part time and hopefully fish some tournaments.I want to buy my 3rd boat 2nd.I have a motto do it big do it bad do it once.I dont know anything about Crestliner.do yo guys think this would be a wise investment.this is the add I found

2006 Crestliner CXJ 1870 18' long 70"bottom 90.5 beam
    Side Console
    2006 90/65 Mercury Optimax Jet
    2006 Galvanized Load Rite Trailer (Heavy Duty)
    101 MK Maxuum Foot Control 36V
    3 bank on board charger
    New Radial Tires and Galvanized Wheels
    Garmin 160 on Console
    Garmin 140 on Front Deck
    Tunnel and Raised Transom
    Custom Deck Extension
    Poly Intake Shoe
    Stock Cast Shoe
    BRAND NEW SPRAY IN LINER FLOORS.
    140 Hours on Rig

it is a guide from my river that is selling it should I jump on it or not

Attached Files:

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'd say..... "let your stomach guide you with this one....crook and all"

bayrunner ray:0a26:

3. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I would take it for a test ride and make sure it runs well and if it checks out alright jump on it.That sounds like a great deal to me and now you have 10k to rig it with the rod holders and other stuff (humminbird 997) that makes it yours.Good luck with whatever you buy.

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    If the Seaark is going to strap you for a long period of time than don't do it. What good is it if it puts you in a financial situation to where you can't enjoy it from the added stress.
    On the other hand if you bad to suffer from buyers remorse after you settle and don't get what you want. You may want to keep looking for a better deal on a used SeaArk. They do come along from time to time.
    The Crestlinner is made by Lowe if that helps.
    That does sound like a good deal on the crestlinner.

Thanks
    David

5. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If the MOTOR and all checks out good... Sound like a solid deal to me !

HAWK

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    for five thousand id come get it and dont need it i could make 3 thousand here no problem id get it

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I think he was saying $15000 for the Crestliner. The - was just spaced funny when he posted it. Here is the quote from what he posted. I thought it was $5000 when I first read it as well.
    I don't know if it is that great of a deal at $15000. Sounds a little high. Might be able to hold out and find a better deal in that price range. I know I have seen some very nice rigs sale in that price range.
    Thanks
    David

8. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    the crestliner is $14,900.00.I been speaking with local anglers about the guide who is sellin it he has an exeptional reputation.I dont think he would sell me a peice of junk.Im happy to get some other opinions on this it seems like a good deal to me.The rig only has 140hrs on it.Its pretty close to new.If I dont buy it soon someone else may

9. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    my friend has a G3 for 14,500.00 115 yamaha 4 stroke on it clean low hrs

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sea ark is nice but dont strap yourself , and dont deal with someone u dont like the crestliner sounds like a good deal if cks out ok just my opinon !:0a36::0a26:

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I looked up the NADA for ya.
    Below are attachments of screen shots from the NADA web site. $9,040 - $10,190 for just the base boat and motor.
    Add about $1000 - $1200 max for the trailer, I figure $600-$700 for the jet on the motor (not sure), and then the used electronics bring a wide range in price. Figure what they are worth to you.
    I think the guy is still a few thousand high on the boat. $12,00 - $12,500 would be a good price on the boat. Make him an offer.

Just trying to help, nothing else. This is a great time of year to find a good deal on a boat. Just takes patience and possibly willing to drive a little ways to pick it up. In the end if you are happy with the deal than it is a good deal no matter what anyone else thinks.
    Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

12. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    thanks dave I didnt even know there was a NADA .Your help was very valuable(literally):wink:

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Your very welcome. Like I said about my first reply and PM I missed the - sign and thought you had found a heck of a deal at $5000. I would still figure the electronics and make the guy a reasonable offer. Show him the NADA on the boat/ motor and see what he has to say. He probably isn't going to come all the way to NADA but he may see that it is a little over priced and accept a reasonable offer. He doesn't have the only boat that is for sale or is going to ever be for sale. There are a lot of good sources for used boats on line. That way you don't take the first hit on depreciation. Just the way i look at it when i am buying a boat and I have bought a few over the past several years.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

14. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Sorry Bro I thought that you could get it for 5k also,15k is a bit too steep for a used boat of that size and make.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Dave on most boats the price they show is for a hull and not for any thing that is added on. Like full floor and sides like that boat shows to have. Or vinyl or built in gas tank. extra storage like that boat shows anything like that. And that stuff adds up fast.
    Pete

16. dank1

dank1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    you need to look at financial part first but i can tell you there is night and day difference between the two boats if you look the sea ark much better built boat i had a 1860 nova boat bought new in 2000 i had alot of trouble with the welds not saying i was easy on it when i sold the boat it had been weled 7 times in the bow and tree times in th trasom creastliner bought nova out 2002 dont know if they have fixed the problem or not i can tell that i had that boat 5 years of pounding tournament abuse i didnt buy a sea ark bought an express bay boat but have looked at alot of different brands of boats and sea ark is one of the better built ones on the market the boat will stay under you for a lifetime you might have to replace a motor every 5 to 10 years in a lifetime some of the questions you are going to have to think about is how much am i going to use it how abusive of use i also have a freind that has a 20 foot lowe they come of the same line as the creastliner they took the motor off this summer and sent it back to lowe to have transom welded back in that just alittle personal experiance with a boat from basicly same company just changed hands 3 times i beleve if you do some shopping around you might find the sea ark alittle cheaper if a dealer is hard to get along with it is usually that way if you have trouble with your boat just make sure you are happy with what ever you buy and it fits in your budjet boat isnt any fun if cant use it if have any more questions just pm me be glad to help you in any way i can

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I would wait. I paid $18k and change for my 2007 SeaArk 2072 with a 115/80 Yamaha Jet. It had electronics on the front, a floor, livewell, side console, 7 foot rod locker, front storage, etc. I had the trolling motor and depth finder from my old rig.

NADA gives you an average of what similar boats have retailed for, or at least that is what it is supposed to do. Historical data is from this past spring and summer. Only you can judge if this is "the one" for you. It is not a great deal nor a bad one, a good deal is when parties on both sides of the equation are happy. I DO know that you are VERY anxious to pull the trigger, as I was. I was inches away from ordering a G-3 and am SO glad I waited.

As for good dealers, I know it sounds crazy but I found a great dealer in Cooks Marine in Troy Missouri. (I am in Ohio so I know it's far).

Shop around other SeaArk dealers for the best pricing then go negotiate with your crooked dealer (I would travel first, personally I would not buy locally from someone with that rep, especially if you've already given them the opportunity.)

If you would like I have a dealer near me, and I can price it out for you to see if I can save you some $$.

Not many stock boats being sold in Jan. 60 days from now, different story.

18. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Pete,
    If you look up the boat by the model number there are certain things that model comes standard with. The floors, sides walls, built in tank, live well, etc are standard features for this model and NADA will reflect that. Just like with cars, the trim level of the car has certain items (power windows, locks, ac, etc) that is included in the value when you check that trim level.
    The CXJ 1870 model number will get you a base value of what the boat is worth as you purchased it from the dealer. Like I said all item added after that you need to value them according to what they are worth to you. If they would be what you would want on the boat, they are worth more. If not than you are going to find yourself replacing them at some point and they are not worth as much. Like the 36 v trolling motor. With the three batteries and added weight I would back it down to a 24 volt system to save the weight. The 36 volt system cost more but would not be worth as much to me since I would change it.:eek:oooh: Any new accessory you buy for a boat will never be worth close the value you paid for it two or three years down the road.:angry::sad2: The most I have ever had a boat dealer offer me for a boat on trade is high NADA value. Most of the time they don't offer anything or even care if the boat has any accessories added on. As long as it doesn't leave big holes when removed. The they deduct for the holes, but don't want to add anything for the accessories if they are there. At least not more than a fourth of what hey would bring if you sold them separately. There in it to make a living and I don't have a problem with that. Just don't try to retire off one sale.:smile2:

Thanks
    David

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I do know on like my War-Eagle it only gives you the base price. And even had 2 dealers offer me more on tradein then what the NADA shows.
    Pete

20. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    wow didn't now they were going for that much.