Creepin

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Interpol689, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Interpol689

Interpol689 New Member

State:
    PA
    I've been lurkin around here for a while and decided to introduce myself. I just started fishing back in February, so I'm relatively new to the game. But I do research a lot, so Im learning slowly. I probably go fishing 5 times a week iv the weather holds out. I've caught a bunch of species, but catfish are by far my favorite. They're not a sissy fish like a bunch of the others. Ive only caught a dozen cats or so, but the last one I hooked into was my biggest fish yet and this is what made me love Mr. whiskers so much. For those Eastern PA natives that know about Leaser Lake near Jacksonville, Pa. THey know its being drained for dam repair. Well I've been fishing there for probably 2 months now and ive caught a crap load of sunnies, some bass, few crappie, some nice sized perch and about a dozen small bullheads. These bullheads were well under 1 pound. Ive been told there were channel cats in there but I never got any. Well this past sunday(6-7-09), I was fishing from 12:00 on and my parents came to partake around 3:00 since it was the Free Fishing Day. The fish werent biting real well before they got there. I think I only landed 2 fish in the 3 hours I was there before them. So right before they came I made a move to another part of the lake because there was no activity where I was at. I had my slip sinker out laying on the bottom in probably 5-6 feet of water, because thats all the deeper it is at most spots now. I keep checking my rod for a possible fish on it, while fishing for bass at the same time. I look at it one second and its like normal, no bend. I turn away to tie on another crankbait and turn back a minute later and the rod is doubled over. I knew it was big just from seeing that. Now this is not very big compared to the cats of some of the members on here , I'm sure, but this is a personal record and I was SO excited. I picked the rod out of the holder, set the hook, and just held on. I could feel the head shakes through my braided line like crazy. I only battled it for probably 2 minutes or so just to reel it in. It ended up being a 16 pound 1 ounce Channel Cat. It was 33 1/4 inches long and massively pregnant. I was really excited that I was able to land this fish, its going to taste good on the dinner table.

Thanks all for listening to this story and I hope to learn a lot on here.

Attached Files:

• hfs.jpg
      hfs.jpg
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
  2. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    WELCOME TO THE BOC! NICE FISH THERE KEEP THEM COMING!:wink:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC dorian!Congrats!That,s a nice channel by anyones standards.:wink:Stick around,you,ll learn a lot more by asking than just looking.You may even get addicted to cattin like the rest of us.:crazy:.There,s a lot wosre things you could get hooked on.:roll_eyes:

4. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Welcome aboard & nice catch

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC...there is tons of information here alot of helpful people too

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Welcome aboard Dorian and Thanks for sharing with us. Keep the post coming,J.D.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome th the BOC Dorian. Thanks for the pic.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    nice catty and welcome to the site, i thought they fixed that dam already?

9. Good job Dorian. Welcome, and good luck to ya.:wink:

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    very nice fish there, congrats. but you should have cpr'd her. a fish that big is very old and would have had a lot of young ones. not to say that eating some is bad just saying eat the smaller ones. a channel cat that big is a rare thing, the odds of her getting to be that big are astronomical and now she is gone. if released she would have gotten bigger and you may have caught her again. then you would have another personal best to show us. not bashing you at all bro so i hope you don't take it that way.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i dont think ive ever seen a channel that big in person before..nice catch

12. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    yea nice fish, but a shame she still aint kicking...

13. Interpol689

Interpol689 New Member

State:
    PA
    Wow thanks for the welcome guys. Actually at Leaser Lake they haven't even found the problem yet. The dam is still leaking somewhere inside and they have to drain it and excavate it to find out where it actually is. It is supposed to be back up and fully functional around 2013. Who knows if it will actually be useable by then, but if we keep getting all this rain it will never empty. The whole lake gained a foot and a half in one week from all the rain. All while they are trying to empty it.

And to all that said that I should have released it. In a normal circumstance I would have released it. But this lake is being drained completely to fix the dam as I said earlier. There are ALOT of big fish still left in there and they are going to die if somebody doesn't keep/eat them. I heard that a guy got 2 27 and 28 inch channel cats out of there the week before me. The creel and size limits have been lifted from there and its a free for all for whatever you want to take.

I also have a question. Has anybody been to Kimmets Lock on the Lehigh River in Allentown? I have heard that there is cats in there, but I've never tried to fish from there yet.

14. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    The state has stocked a good amount of channels in the lehigh river below palmerton down to allentown in past years, so yes there are channels to be had in the lehigh river, I've heard of them caught from above palmerton as well....

15. Interpol689

Interpol689 New Member

State:
    PA
    Oh thats good to hear, I am going to try and fish it soon. Maybe sometime after I get everything out of Leaser. I actually went to the same spot on Leaser Lake tonight and within 20 minutes of throwing out my chicken liver. I got another 12.5 pound, 30 inch channel. This one actually fought more than the 16 pounder I got on sunday. Like I said there is ALOT of big fish still in there.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that could be a fun job of catchin them and relocatiing them to some other body of water:wink:

17. Yeah, like, uh, Catfish Dam?:wink:

18. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Brother I don't care who you are, that's a nice fish anywhere. Congrats on the catch!

19. Interpol689

Interpol689 New Member

State:
    PA
    Well I went to Leaser Lake today and it seems that it is pretty well empty. There were a couple guys bowfishing and they got a couple nice 10-15 pound channels, but other than that there is only a 5 foot wide stream where the lake used to be. They must have opened up a couple more gates inside the dam to let more water out. So I think its quits for the lake until 2013 when its supposed to be back up and running.