Creel Limits

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kcgeoff, May 14, 2009.

1. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I want to catch some catfish/wipers for eating at some areas lakes but the creel limit is only 2. Does my 13 year old son have a separate creel limit from mine? Do we have to use 2 separate stringers?

I've looked all over the KDWP site and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I think I'm more confused then before I looked!:eek:oooh:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think that they are separate.
    I would keep them on two different stringers, just to be safe.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wondered about that too a while back. What if you and your buddy are fishing out of a boat and you just put your catch in the livewell. And lets say the limit is 5/day and each of you caught 4 so far. How does the officer know that you both are at 4 each and that one person didn't jsut catch all 8 of them. I'm pretty sure I found somewhere in the rules that say they had to be seperate or marked in some way. Of course, whats to keep one guy from putting half his fish on a seperate stringer marked with his buddy's name. So that rule is kind of stupid to me.

4. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I know that for duck hunting bag limits, the officers check total for the group. i.e. limit 5 ducks per hunter, 10 total for 2 people. I know early last year when I was just getting started if you didnt shoot part of your limit my hunting buddies would start shooting your limit for you :smile2:

I would assume its the same for fish. I do know that in some of the MO trout parks, that the limit is 4 fish per day per angler, possession limit of 8 (i.e. you can carry a friends). In MO, if you are caught giving your fish to another angler you can get a fine for doing that....or at least thats what I was told by someone much older and wiser than me. Not sure if that rule applies to KS as well, or if its just trout related.

5. kccatkilla42

kccatkilla42 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm almost 100% sure that they have to be seperate. I know that for pheasant hunting, you have to have your pheasants on you, not just thrown in the bed of the truck with everyone elses (we do it anyways) and you can get fined for it if you run into the wrong game warden that day. I would just play it safe and bring 2 seperate stringers.

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    This is the only place it is mentioned in the entire 125 pages of regulations.

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all the post everybody!

And Jay thanks for the clarification! I guess I'll take 2 stringers with me. :cool2:

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I reckon me and Jerald are lucky, we've never been checked, going on around 8/9 years now:smile2:. We always put both of our catches on one stringer:eek:oooh:, have to keep this in mind in the future, thanks Jay.
    On the Catoon, we also put all our Cats in the same floating basket, never see a CO out there either:smile2:.

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim,
    I'm pretty sure you'll be fine unless you get a dick for a game warden! :eek:oooh:

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Geoff, in the slang vernacular, they ARE Dick's, just like Cop's.:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    It is a sub paragraph under this paragraph, as an additional requirement.

It is only required when fishing the Missouri river where the river is the boarder of KS-MO. It is not a regulation in the rest of KS. I would guess it is a reg in Missouri, that is most likely why it is required when fishing the MO river.

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I guess we never answered your whole question.

You have a creel limit of 2 each and they don't have to be on separate stringers. :cool2:

13. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    If you go fishing with a guide they throw all the fish in the same cooler and just keep track of the total fish allowed for the group.

14. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    If they did make you have it on 2 stringers that would be just retarded. As long as both people has valid license theres no real reason to separate them.

15. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    I ran across this same question last year so I asked a game warden down at Osage. We were crappie fishing (4 of us) and spread out along the bank about a 20 yrd radius. He said the rule was to have a stringer/basket per angler especially if we were going to spread out like that. But he than said if we were all side by side or on the same pier than it would not be a problem. So to me it sounded like the LAW was to have seprate stringers but it depends on who checks you if you would actually get a fine or not.