Creeks??

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Navy_Seal, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Navy_Seal

Navy_Seal New Member

State:
    Northeast oklahoma
    i posted earlier bout not being able to catch flats. my other question is, is a creek a good spot to get some bigguns, like ones well over the 30 pound range, im looking to catch a few to take some pics and letem go, ive been told the creek yielded a 55 pound flat, but that was 30 or more years ago, is this still a good spot

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Id say if the water is up and the flats can swim back up the creek off the river you would have a chance. Feeder creeks are allways a good spot, especially the mouth of it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

3. Navy_Seal

Navy_Seal New Member

State:
    Northeast oklahoma
  4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    what creeks are you fishing? I know the cottonwood creek in my hometown holds big ones.

5. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    Id say if the creek has all the habitat shelter and food that flats like, then there should be some in there. It would need to have a descent amount of water, bait fish and shelter, like under cut banks, stumps, log jams brush piles and such. also when the water comes up it should be a good spot, but often the mouth of the creek is the best bet.

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I would think that the creek would need to be a healthy mature creek with the protection & eatin critters for cats. Other than that the mouth of a decent creek would be fair.

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Its tough for me to say, but my .02 is that I fish Deer Creek near my house and you're lucky to get something out of it that is over a few pounds. I'm sure that somewhere a flatty lurks, but it seems that because our creek is typically so shallow, that's just the nature of the beast.