Creeks

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thinking about trying some small creeks for flatheads any of you ever tried small creeks for flattys? By small i mean like 10 foot across ahaha and i figured id look for deeper stretches on the creeks. Im not doing this for big big fish just something to do that would be pretty fun

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If the creek runs into a river I would, whenever it floods they will run up in the creeks for awhile and they might not make it back out before it returns to normal. Ive caught a few that were trapped in the creek. You probably have a differnt situation, but I thought Id share that, good luck.

3. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    Hey Ryan i havent fished any creeks before but got a lot of them by me here in so. il . but the in-fisherman catfish insider has a whole section on fishing small rivers and creeks. you could find some info there if you dont have it its like 4.99 at walmart so let me know how it goes maybe i will try it to. good luck

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    There is a creek near Chester Illinois that comes off the Kaskaskia near Fort De Charters and snakes around a ways then drains into the Mississippi . Years ago my Dad used to fish it hard bring a stringer full home that seemed like every night . I am not sure the name .

5. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just because the creeks are small doesn't mean it won't hold flattys'. In fact, it can be somewhat easier to find them in smaller bodies of water. The only defining factor is that it has to have some deeper water and as said before, connected to a river with a good amount of flats in it. One benefit to fishing creeks is that they are easier to fish from the bank, just remember that you have to have permission from a landowner on private ground. Flatheads don't tolerate a lot of current which is beneficial for fishing creeks, esspecially when the water is high, or when they go to spawn. Check out the flathead catfishing section on the home page on this site. There's a loy of info. and last week somebody had a post that did pretty darn good on flatheads in a creek that was mostly shoulder deep! GOOD LUCK!

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well i fish a creek down here "Spring Creek" sometimes with my uncle and its maybe 15' across and we went one evenin and saw a huge id say 12 lb carp right in inches of water.. So im sure theres decent ones in there. Hes said hes caught cats outta there never mentioned the size. Ive caught a spotted bass, and a few bream outa there.

7. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    in central Illinois holds cats when the rivers high

8. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Some of our best fishing trips have been on creeks. Fish deeper holes and brush etc. Native forage ie:bullheads, bluegills etc work best in small creeks for flats we've found. If you were near my area I could send ya to some pretty good cat holes.

9. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    hey Ryan, i have several little creeks around springfield that i fish and setline that are only bout 10' across, caught a lotta nice channels and few flatties 5-10 pound range, round here they seem to be gone by july, people still dont believe im catchin those fish outa that lil' creek, i walk quite ways to logjambs, below beaver dams, and where the smaller feeder creeks & flooded areas drain into the creek. i seem to catch more late at night,and right after a downpour, i look forward to may and june every year just for the creekfishing, hope this helps

10. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have a creek and it holds big flats and its just like the one u described but i cant catch em on rod and reel i have to use limb lines so if u fish and they dont bite try didis or limb lines there just might be a jiant in there

11. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Creeks make my mouth water. If people only knew those little creeks hold so many nice fish. No records caught in little creeks accept maybe for bullheads or snapping turtles. but lots of action. I grew up fishing one that hooked me on fishing.

12. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Fished them alot till got old fat and busy but the fish are still there.We used cheese bait on a float and fished the holes and brush piles all the time till i was 30 you will get alot of nice channel cats and bullhead but we never got any flat heads but we didnt use live bait.Two of us would go on a Sat. morning and catch enough to have a fish fry for two familys on a Sun. afternoon.Alot of fun use a shoulder bag to carry your stuff and a stringerr.I used a radio bag from the service as it is rubber lined.Thanks for the thread brought back alot of memories John

13. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    I love fishing creeks,yea theres flatheads in them,and big channels,as a matter of fact i just seen a dead channel that weighed at least 25 to 30 pounds. that waz the run off of otter lake. theres muskie that r in the 50 inch range down there,yea man jacking with creeks is fun,find u a nice bend that holds water all year round u will be surprized at what u can find in a creek.

14. r_dejaynes

r_dejaynes New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I grew up in small Abingdon Illinois. The first thing we fished was the small creeks and rivers close by, mainly Spoon river and Cedar Creek. In all my years, I have pulled out more fish, on any given day from Cedar Creek than from the river. When my buddies call each other up, the fishing list goes in this order. If we got money we go to the Mississippi River, if not Cedar Creek, at various different spot around the county. If Cedar is not producing, we will hit the Spoon River. If we are just going to drink beer and bullssh*t, then will go to the local Lake story. We are poor and dream of the day when one of us gets a boat. HA HA then It will be the mississippi every day! But for myself, I want a small boat so I can trot line or jug fish the creek. In the summer you will always find, a tent, a car, a family along the creek! LOVE THEN CREEKS!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009