Creek testing, bad..tasting

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fraid_knot, Mar 23, 2006.

1. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Ya ever drink outta a creek when yous a kid?

I did. Back when creek water didnt have all them nasty chemicals in em. Or least we didnt know bout em then.
    I remember the first time I drank outta a creek. Me an Dad was walkin thru the woods an (the sly old fox) got me to eat a green persimmon. Gads!!! Hadda get sumthin to wash out that nasty taste. Everyone should eat just one green persimmon, just for the experince.

Anuther time I remember was when me and a friend was exploring uncharted territory on the north forty. It was a normal hot summer day and decided a drink was in order. So the first riffle we came across, we got down an grabbed a few handfulls of wunnerful wet, cool, refreshing water. Really hit the spot. And continued on up the creek.
    Hadnt got nearly a hunderd yards an found a "dead calf" laying in the creek. All puffed up an everything. And We DRANK That WATER!!! Bleah!! But it wernt too bad, and we didnt die or nuthin. Still, we made a practice to walk down a creek fore we drank.

Nowadays, yer sposta boil or put bleach in the water....Just in case theres a dead calf somewhere.............

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Fraid knot, I don't know about a creek, but I have drink out of springs all over the state. I still will drink out of a spring when in the woods if I get thirsty. Vern

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I drank out of a creek a long time ago and learned that it was not the thing to do since about 2 hours later I couldnt get off the pot for awhile

4. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There aren't any creeks around here anymore that I would willingly drink from, but there are a few springs that are cleaner than even city water. Of course they ain't big enuff ta throw a dead calf in or somebody probly would! But anybody that considers Yukon Jack drinkable oughtn't complain about a little ol'dead calf!

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive never drank out of a creek but I do love getting new hunters or fisherman to eat a green persimmon. Love that look on their face, and usually you cant get them to eat another one even if its ripe and you eat one first.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    just a note:

If youre in the woods and need water look for signs of beaver on the creek. If a beaver lives in it it is unsafe to drink.
    Some parasite lives in their intestines and can make you get so sick you can crap through a tennis racket at 50 paces and never wet a string.

if it isnt crystal clear and fast moving it is unsafe to drink.

If you have the nighttime to plan where water is coming from, a piece of plastic like a trash bag and a container of some kind to catch the water, you can use it to collect dew. make a makeshift tent-like structure out of the plastic and tilt it so it drops off into the container. Thast the best youre gonna do in a pinch.

If you cant boil it or bring it, dont play games.

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    weve drank the creek water at our grandparents farm when it was fast moveing .
    it tasted great and we didnt give a thought to anything wrong or
    unsafe in doing it (pretty much when ever we were out and about near it)
    however one day we ( cousins, brother, and i ) were fartin around near the creek in the summer ,we all got a nice long drink out of it and a bit later
    ran into the herd of our GP's cows up stream a ways and this cow was filling the creek up with a little water of her own:sad:

dont know if any others had been doing the same right before we were slurpping it up....i thought it tasted pretty good LOL;)

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we were out hunting up a few long lost caves and my buddy took a drank out of the water that was running over the mouth of the cave.well about 2 hours later we were packing him back to the truck. he was one sick fool:rolleyes: we tried to get him to go to the hospital but being bullheaded like he is he layed around for about 2 days and then he was good to go.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would think today in most places it would be safer to drink even though I still wouldn't. Just think, back then there were dumps and people pouring out oil in their yards and all kinds of things running into the rivers. Now since the EPA is more involved it should make all the rivers cleaner then back then. Look at lake Erie for instance, back in the 70's it was so polluted you couldn't catch a fish, now its one of the best fisheries in the nation.

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    about 30 years ago, a friend and I were out playing in the "woods", which was more or less an empty lot since even than Northern Va was pretty built up. Well, anyway, we find this little trickle of water that pooled up, and well being thirsty, we had some. I don't recall any nasty side effects, so it must have been pretty clean, though we did not know the source, and that prolly was a good thing

11. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    30 years ago when i was a kid we drank out of all the creeks where i grew up in ohio. never got sick. now days id have to be pretty high up on a mountain before i would.

12. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I regularly drink from springs, and have drank from creeks. I kayak, raft, and backpack alot of backcountry creeks, and I always bring a water purifier. Most of the water I drink I purify, if I come across a spring I fill up all my containers so I dont have to do all the pumping required with the purifier. I use unfiltered water for cooking and coffee, just let it boil a while. Some people prefer iodine tablets, they work well. I dont recomend bleach that will make you sick and will taste bad.

If you have no way of purifying,(filter,boil,iodine) and you need water, drink from the swiftest current this will cut down on waterborn bacteria.

13. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Arlington, I've done that with grape vines. is bout the only thing they're good for. Sides swingin on em when yous a kids. And they never held up with me, never seemed like. I always landed in the water.

Yeah, all that took place thrity plus years ago. Nowadays I dont get far enuff from a thermos or jug of water to worry bout it.

Was good reading you alls tales of youth as well. :)

14. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can remember thinking that the water in the pond tasted better than the water from my grandparents well, and I saw the cows standing in the pond. But there was a neighbor on the other side of the Grand River, and their well tasted really good and clean, and was fairly cool. I probably drank about a half gallon at one time. Nowdays, it's pump all the water through my "First Need" water purification system if I'm not hauling bottled water. Spent way too much time shooting bright fluorescent green c#@p out my backside on one trip in Canada. Didn't get it stopped until I got some pills from my doctor.:crying:

15. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Neon poo!:rolleyes: thats funny

Hey, when did the title change from "Creek testing, er....tasting" to "Creek testing, Bad..tasting"??

I dont remember changin it anytime?

16. catd11rnky

catd11rnky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If the water runs over ten rocks and a cow patty it`s safe to drink.........lol

17. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A few posts back; Now since the EPA is involved it should make all the rivers cleaner.... The EPA is just like any other government run outfit. Or dogooder outfit for that matter. They pick out a project, put a lot of publicity into the effort, and if it turns out they make progress they point it out to everybody and say 'See what a good job we did?' If for no matter what reason they do not make progress they blame it on somebody else (usually the President), and do their best to distance themselves from the sorry mess they leave behind! I only speak about my own area, but suspect we're not alone. People dump a hell of a lot more stuff than they use to just because they are told its improved and environmentally safe. And there's a lot more people. Hurray for Lake Erie! Is there enuff water there to go around?