creek stripers

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by kottacat, Aug 12, 2009.

1. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    I live in southern Indiana across the Ohio River from Louisville KY in a little town called New Albany.We have a big creek here called Silver Creek. Well, in the spring time when the rain comes and raises the river the creek rises to. And when it does-man you talk about some action!!! The stripers and hybrid stripers move up in there for miles by the thousands. Now, there cant be too many people-other than locally-that know about this, which is good. But ive pulled 10#ers on up to over 20#s out of there almost one after another most of the time! Anybody else have a similar situation? I feel awful lucky here.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I live on Flat Creek on Lake Lanier and the bay of the creek is awesome for stripers in the spring but only a tiny handfull of people know that the big stripers push way up into that creek. Its wild catching big stripers in a creek thats 20ft wide at its widest and no more than 10ft at its narrowest point. Most people are content to stay out in the open water but when I decide to head into the creek I reel up my rods and break out my castnet in view of the other fisherman and fake like I am going to net bait. Then after I am around the first bend and out of site I grab the rods and liveline herring for some awesome action:big_smile:

Attached Files:

3. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    thats awesome! sound like about the same situation. you gotta love it man! I never break out the cast net but thats a good idea and funny as heck to!

4. festus

festus New Member

Yes, I know of a creek similar to your's, but it's a little bigger. It's called Poplar Creek, it's a headwater of Watts Bar Lake here in East TN. The only problem is Poplar Creek is contaminated with mercury and PCB's. There is a nuclear plant (bomb building plant) in Oak Ridge, TN. The East Fork of Poplar Creek runs right through the middle of this facility. One good thing about this, I don't know of anyone who eats fish out of this creek, so it's full of trophy fish; catfish and stripers.

Poplar Creek is about 30' wide, depth varies from about 3' to 15'. I live on another much smaller creek about 10 miles away (no stripers here), so I catch my baitfish (shiners, chubs, and suckers) in my own backyard. But when the stripers are running in the spring, they'll hit about anything sized to them, even nightcrawlers or shad guts. I really don't know why, but I've never gotten them to hit artificials. I catch them anywhere from 3 lbs. up to 25 pounds. Once Poplar Creek empties into the Clinch River, the stripers will hit big bucktail jigs, Thinfins, Rapalas, Wild Eyed Shad, etc.

5. Stemwinder

Stemwinder New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :)

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am sure there are some creeks around here for them, but I dont know where they are at the moment...but goal #2 on my list to catch this year is a 10 lb striper, the 1st is a 30 lb catfish!

7. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah man, they do the same thing in the Great Miami River. Early in the morning, you have to go up there and look where the shad are flipping, then you watch for boils where the stripers are coming up after the shad. Cast at the boils.

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I too have a little creek that produces nice stripers. But they come into this creek in the winter time. I am not going to broadcast its name, but might show a few lucky people.:wink:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice Stripers!