Creek Stocking

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by TX Fisherman, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    just stocked the dammed up creek behind my house w/ about 30 4-6 inch channel catfish caught from a local pond, the part i stocked em in has a ton of minnows and blue gill proly about 500 yards and up to 20 feet wide where they can swim about 6 feet at deepest, what would be the best low cost food to feed them, cause i wanna feed them with a feeder but not sure whats best

2. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like there is plenty of bait fish for them to feed on. But if you want to feed them use any cheap feed. An off brand dry dog food would work.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Local farm feed dealers across the south sell floating and sinking "Catfish Feed" sized to the size fish you are feeding.Just take it slow until your fish learn to eat the feed.Over stocking and over feeding can wipe you out,as excess fish and feed can spoil and effect your water quality.Floating feed is easier to watch consumption with.The Internet is full of help and advice.Best of luck.I found that Birds,Otters,people and management along with luck were all involved in my successes and failures with catfish.Do not mix Blue cats with them.They fed on my channels.Our Georgia Bullheads seem to be compatible in my opinion,but can take over with time.If you have the other fish already,but no bullheads,you may not have the adiquite year round water quality you need for success.Luck,I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It sounds like enough food for them.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I used to buy floating food for the summer and sinking food for the winter.
    Now i forgoet all that junk and just throw any old bread we have and table scraps out there.
    When we cook a ham, chicken, or porkchops, all the bones go out there.
    They'll pick em clean.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    All the catfish I have in my in ground pool live on dry catfish pellets. It's is like 9 bucks for 50lbs at the coop. It works just fine.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I think any dry dogfood will do, but if they get used to regular feeding, itll be hard to get em to bite anything else.