creek size for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Jamesriver, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    How big should a creek be for channel cats? There are several creeks in my area 20 to 50 feet wide, would they live there? And there is a sections of a much smaller creek that is about 25 feet wide, but the rest of the creek is much smaller, could they live there?

2. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Channel cats can be found in small waters. I have seen them way up tributary creeks before in as little as 12 to 15 inches of water. Best to ask some local fishermen and see if they know of any channels being caught there.

3. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    only one way to find out for sure. might be good fishing and you would have it all to yourself.

4. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I rarely get to fish a creek 6 feet wide.I have caught them in 4 ft deep and 5 ft wide creeks.Smaller ones though.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If it runs into a larger river or lake that you know has channels then most likley the creek will. I would fish it with different baits just to see what was in it.

6. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I agree, I have a creek near home like that. Under normal conditions you never catch any channels and would swear that there wasn't any in there, but go back after a heavy rain when the creek goes up a foot or more and fish the eddies and you can't keep them off of your line. In the creek I fish they average 2-4 pounds. Once the water drops and clears up they disappear again. I suspect they hole up under the banks and logs and just spread out more.

7. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Small creeks can be excellent. As long as it is deep enough for them to get around and have smaller deep pools. Attack these different pools and you can find some fast, good action.

8. festus

festus New Member

I know of a creek like that. The channels swim up from the lake and can't get any farther upstream than the waterfalls in the photo I attached. I've seen channels in there 3-4 pounds and also smallmouth bass the same size. They have a forage base of crawdads, hellgramites, insects, suckers, chubs, creek shiners, bullheads, logperch, bream, and darters. The hole of water under the waterfalls is about 8' deep.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ...Sometimes a valuable, but overlooked resource.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    like these guys have said, i would concentrate my efforts to the bigger deeper pools just on the other side of eddies. you would be surprised at the size of the fish these smaller waters can hold. when the water is down, it really concentrates them and you can really tear it up. however you will fish out a small creek quickly, kinda like a farm pond. the upside is they will replenish on their own faster. just dont forget to leave a few breeders to help repopulate. if i was going to keep fish though it would be out of the smaller creeks and ponds, less pollution in them in my opinion. good luck and CPR if you can.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    BTW a buddy of mine was telling me his brother catches channels on a fly rod out of some of these smaller creeks..

12. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Channels can live in almost any size creek.

13. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    Yes !!! They live there !!! I fish creeks 10 ft wide and less than a foot deep in alot of spots, these tiny creeks are some of the best catfishing there is. Last october i was fishing one of these creeks with livers and cuaght 50 channel cats and a few bullheads in one hour, DO NOT over look these spots :wink:

14. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    i forgot to add this but they ranged from 1 to 4lbs

15. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    when I was a kid I used to fish a creek that was close to home. I would ride my bike down there and fish. When the water went up the fish would swim upstream then when the water went down they would be trapped in the deeper holes. Some parts of the creek would only be a few inches deep but the 50' section I would fish was around 4' deep. There was alot of fish in there sometimes and couldn't even sit down. Sometimes wouldn't even catch a fish. All you can do is get some bait and try. There probably is channels in there if there are channels where ever the creek ends. I should go back there and give it a try. I could atleast get some bait there if not some eater channels.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010