Creek Fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Aug 21, 2005.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I wonder what other cats live in a creek beside channels?

2. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    CJ, I find them all in the creeks around here, if they're big enough to support fish. The flathead is a true river fish that has adapted to lakes, so he's at home in a decent creek. Channel cats have always been in the rivers and creeks, like bullheads. I consider blues to be true open water fish, but the lake needs to have a river running through it, or at least a few creeks. If your creek runs into a lake or a river, there would be a good place to fish, if the time is right. The blues, channels and flats will move in and out of the mouth of the creeks. Some will migrate farther up it, especially during spawn. Some will take up residence until the waters become too warm and depleted of oxygen. If you're looking for the biggest boys, don't go too far up the creek, fish in the mouth of it.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya this creek runs into the river.

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I cant give a better answer then the brother above he hit it right on the nail.
    What i can add to it is if it's legal where you fish use shad, creek chubs, bule gills, whole live dead or cut.

Always keep the bait off bottom a foot or more cause of the over bite that catfish have. from one type catfish to the other on the top or the bottom lip sticks out more then the other.

Also with the bait off bottom it helps them hold it longer and better giving you more of a chance at a better hook set.

With all the informaion now the only thing is left is for someone to come alog and give you the fish.

Good luck brother and keep us posted let us all know how it gos for you.

5. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    HAs anyone heard of bullhead living in creeks? How deep does it have to be for them to survive?

6. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    I've caught bullheads in creeks as small as 3 feet wide and a foot deep.Them things are every where here. :cursing:

7. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    only place i've ever caught bullheads was in creeks.... small to large!

8. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I want to stock a creek by my house with Bullheads and the deepest part it about 3 feet deep and it reaches 30 ft wide. do you think they will live in those conditions?

9. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    I hav a tiny creek by my house 7ft wide and 5 ft deep (in the biggest parts) do you think there could be any kind of sizable (able to hook) catfish in there? I have caught 3 inch catfish in a net there and lots of bream.

10. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Bullheads can live in a muddy ditch, long as it don't dry up. If there's a creek near you, it probably has them. They are in the lakes here because when the creeks rise, they are swept in the larger waters. If your creek runs into a lake or river, and never dries up, it probably has a bullhead population. Them things are just about everywhere. They love worms, but they might taste like mud if you jerk 'em out of water that looks a lot like a hog wallow. In good waters, a lot of people love to fish for them and put them on the table, dredged in cornmeal and fried in hot oil.
    I beat Kutter on this one too, heheh.

11. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    thanx this creek used to be a lake about 10-15 years ago and i just want to have a little fun close to home. I know its spring fed and never dries up. I might dig up some wigglers and try it this weekend.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice let us know how it goes.

13. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    i didnt get a chance because of Katrina. I might get a chance this weekend.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sorry to hear that.

15. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    i went this past weekend w/out catching anything. I was only there for 30min because people came through muddin with a jeep. I used cut breqam and wigglers. any other recomendations on bait.