creek fishing for cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hoglaw, Sep 30, 2005.

1. hoglaw

hoglaw New Member

Anyone have any advice on fishing a clear water - free stone stream for channels? There's plenty of structure, mostly in the form of rocks but lots of trees/roots/vegetation as well. This is arguably the best smallmouth stream in the country, and there is an abundance of bait. There are more crawfish than you can imagine, in all sizes. Lots of bluegill and chubs as well. There are no flatheads or blues as far as I know, it's all channels. What type of area would you set up on for a night? A long hole, a rapid/hole, a sand flat? All types of geography are present. Additionally, what bait would you use? Nightcrawlers are good, but the problem is the damn sucker fish won't stay off of them. We're camping out of canoes, and we'll have all night. Any advice would be appriciated. I'd like to see if anyone has a different line of thinking than I do.

Thanks

Kyle

2. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Bring Night Crawler regardless. I would also catch a few bluegill and cut into cutbait. Livers are also a good bet. I think any spot you want to setup in would be fine. They will be plenty hungary for you when you get there.

3. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Sand bars can be good at night because of the baitfish or minnows. The heads of holes are good also, especially if there are riffles. Fish will postion themselves to catch tid-bits carried by the current. They like to hang around holes and hide behind big rocks, or holes with big rocks in them. They like to get under trees that fall in the water. They can be deeper during the day and shallow during the night. They like to lay in the shade. They like to eat crawfish, but may be tempted by a chicken liver. They like worms, but so does everything else.

4. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I would use as much of the natural bait availible as possible. So, catch a few crawdads, bluegills, chubs, and suckers as you can and use them for bait. Cut up the bluegill and suckers. You might look for natural insects like grasshoppers.
    Abilene's description of spots to fish are good. Brushpiles on river curves can be good spots.

5. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    use the worms to catch chubs and suckers and use them for bait

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nightclawers and Bream is a good place to start. livers work well to.

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The cats will stay put during the day hunkered down behind a current break or in a hole. However, they can still be caught even though they arent actively seeking food. Use whatever you desire as bait...with as little weight as possible. Just enough to keep the bait on the bottom while you let your bait drift downstream with the current. Feed line out...keeping in mind that as long as your line is slack its on the bottom...if the line is tight your bait is rising to the top. The name of the game is keeping contact with your bait. Too much slack and your bait stays put and theres too much slack to feel the bite....which may not consist of anything more than a tap...thats the fish grabbing your bait as it drifts by and just staying put instead of the familiar run when you fish with a sinker in one spot. Line too tight and you're not getting the bait in the strike zone...the bait literally passes over their head. If your bait stops moving downstream...your're in a hole or behind a rock...or you could have a fish on. When in doubt...reel down and if you feel pressure...set the hook. It takes alot of practice to perfect this method...but it does work. This can be done from a boat or while wading either one. You can cover alot of water doing this...which is crucial when seeking cats on a day (or a night) when they're not actively moving about.

8. katfsh1

katfsh1 New Member

State:
    Dixon
    I would use nightcrawlers to catch a few sucker fish like you said.Then use the sucker fish for the cats!Cut them up or use live if not to big. Same goes for the blueguills.You cant go wrong with fresh cut bait from the same waters you are fishing. As far as where to fish, since you said the water is very clear, I would look for the deeper holes with the most cover. Cats usually move upstream from the hole into the shallows to feed. Dont stay in one spot to long if your not getting any action.Cats will not pass up fresh cut bait that they are used to eating. Good luck!

9. hoglaw

hoglaw New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful. Went out today on a local creek and caught a 4lb channel on a zoom trick worm (7 inch floating white worm that's a secret weapon for creek smallmouths). Saw something right at dark in shallow water, figured it was a monster brownie. Worm hit down and the thing took off like a rocket, grabbing my worm in the meantime. Channels on top-water, my favorite! Probably go again soon and try the drift fishing for cats, I think I'm going jerry-rig a drag chain to slow us down.

Thanks again

Kyle

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i fish a creek here alot. since i was a kid. night crawlers are great as well as sone garlic chichen livers too. try minnows whole. have good luck with them. fish the rocky bottoms at night in close to the shallows and any fallen trees and root balls are a good spot to toss a live minnow or small bluegill. there are qccasionally flathead in those areas too. good luck. let us know how ya do.

11. PARATROOPER

PARATROOPER New Member

State:
    Waynesville, IL
    yep, there are alot of flatheads in the Kickapoo. We caught the heck out of the a couple times when we set a few lines.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey good to hear from ya jonny, where ya at? well in the military sometimes specifics aren't good. what country? glad ya are ok. the kickapoo is age old fishing here. going out to the lake tomorrow. check in when ya can.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    My Bud and I went out and ran three trout lines. We used, worms, livers, minnows, crawdads, and twelve little 3 to 4 inch suckers. When we went back to check them out, every hook with a sucker had a channel on it. All the rest of the hooks had not even had a nibble. Every time I catch a sucker it becomes bait. They are usually larger in size so I use them for cut bait. Good luck. Dick

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id look for swirling water,cats love that.For bait id use crawfish for creeks,soft ones if you can find them,if you cant tare the tails off and use craw tails.I have always had luck useing crawfish.