Creek fishing for blue and yellow catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by allworknofish, Feb 27, 2007.

1. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i have recently found a couple of creeks here in south east texas, around the bay city area, that hold some fairly large blue cat and yellow cat in the holes. one of the creeks is no more than about 15 foot across, but has holes in some places than are up to about 7 foot deep. 46 lb flat head is the biggest ive seen so far, but i know there are bigger. had a couple hooks bent straight, and one lines busted on my throw lines. any one else ever fish these unlikely looking fishing holes?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    never caught a blue from a creek, but thats my favorite place to chase yellas. I love to fish in the shallows around a deeper hole. the creek that we have caught the most fish out of is Home Creek in coleman county. It will dry up in spots and only flows seasonally.

3. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas

this creek is a feeder for a larger creek(damn near a river). when the water rises, the blues will move in. we have caught them up to 25 lbs when the creek was on the rise

4. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have caught several yellow cats in creeks, but no blues.

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have caught flatties and yellers in small creeks, but not blues. maybe I'm fishin th wrong creeks,lol. We have a creek here yard wide, an a foot deep, w/holes 2-3 feet deep and as much as 6 ft long. I have pulled several flatties over th yrs outta that creek. th spot i fish is about 3 city blocks long, and th biggest i pulled outta that 3 block stretch was 6 lbs. not a spot u wanna go if ya want alot of fish in one trip, I like tryin anyways. :0a23:

6. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    the yellow on my avatar came out of the creek im refering to. lots of holes up and down it

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    just curious, how far up the feeder creek are you able to catch these fish. I'm in another state so no chance i know where your fishin at....lol.

I know of a feeder creek or 2 that i have located that have pretty deep holes in them around 1/4 to 1/2 mile upstream. have not really fished these holes, but figured at certain times of the year, they have to be holding fish in them or on the edges of them. basically these creeks run from 3-6 feet then there's a hole that is 10+ feet well upstream from the larger river

good luck
    robert

8. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    some of the holes are about 12 miles up from the big creek. the blues come about 1 mile or less though

9. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I like fishing creeks for yellowcats but you cant beat the river.

10. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Those BLUE'S in my Avatar came from Rocky creek in Lavaca county,no more than 12 ft. wide and 6ft. deep:big_smile:

11. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    set lines last night and caught 4 blues and 1 yellow...biggest blue was 21 and the yellow was 46 lbs....out of that little ol creek...pics will follow soon