Creek Chubs

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by LafayetteRiverRunner, Aug 21, 2007.

1. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was wondering if the creek chubs and horned chubs you catch in the Wea and Wildcat are good bait in the wabash?? Any one tried these guys ? Do they stay alive on the hook long?? I tried some cut big head last weekend but on luck. Fishing around Lafayette has been slow for me.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes chubs are great bait!

3. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Chubs work rather well. Live & cut. Doesnt hurt to throw out a variety though. :wink:

4. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks all for your info

5. odiebigcat

odiebigcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    chubs are always a good choice

6. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey are Crick Chubs oiler than Bluegill?...Jeff :)

7. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey guys yes i too think chubs work good if their about 4 to 6 in long ? i know some are using smaller and some bigger?? those are about the size i prefer i do know if you are holding them in a live well and keep a lil bit of ice in there with them and i throw in a couple of crushed regular asprin it helps them stay alive and fighting or atleast it does me i,ve kept some alive on the hook for hrs i hope this helps anyone i also use traps for mine and just bait them with old bread or buns i keep about 50 on hand in a tank a farmer gave me and put an airator in it and i can keep those for months

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had my best luck with live creek chubs that are around 5-7" long. Also in the spring when the bigger ones are spawning and very aggressive, I go down to a small creek and fill up a few freezer bags full of the 8-10" ones for cut bait. If you get a bag of a dozen, that will do you for a good couple of trips out catfishing.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    creek chub are more oilier than a blue gill but are harder to keep alive as well. i loev useing creek chub tho. it seems that if i can get ahold of some big creek chub than i can normally catch some bigger fish. the biggest cat i have ever caught was caught on a huge sucker chub. but like always, it just depends on what the cats want to eat at that moment.