Creek chubs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by channelcathunter64, Sep 14, 2006.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    my dad always told me that a creek chub was a small minnow, but i saw on a video that it was a large minnow like the size of a small gizzard shad, so i was wondering what one was it and how to catch them

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never caught one but some threads mention using red worms and bobbers to catch them.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats what we use,or a piece of crawler.I also get them in my minnow traps sometimes.
    I've just always thought they were larger minnows,not sure but they make great bait!!!

4. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    creek chubs are in fact large minnows and can be caught either by using a seine(if you like getting wet) or can be caught by using small worms on a small hook usually found in feeder streams going into rivers someone from your area will probably be able to put you on them :smile2:

5. NightWarrior

NightWarrior New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I found the best way to catch chubs is to go to the bait shop and buy them... Our rivers up north are so silty and fast moving its hard to catch them... every once in awhile will find them in the ditches in the spring after the flood water start leaving... I pay .99 cent per chub 7-12 inches in length... Craig

6. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught one on bobber and worm one time and one in a crawdad trap...those are the only times I've ever caught them though.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Use a castnet to catch them...99 cents a chub is way too much

8. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Castnets are a no no here in MN as most thing are, so I catch mine with a small hook and crawler.

I've caught some pretty big ones, up to 12 or more inches.

Probably at the top of my list for Flats and Channels, right up there with Bullheads.

If you get em.........use em:wink:

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah if the nets are illegal in your area, then you can catch them on a small rod and reel, but paying 12 bucks a dozen would get expensive real quick LOL..Im to poor for that

10. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I usually use wax worms in ohio,catch them anywhere from 2inches up to around 10inches. excellent for channel and flats!:cool2:

11. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Creek chubs are my favorate bait. I like others catch them on a #8 hook and float with worm in clear streams. Around here the smaller holes produce better bait because the largemouth eat them all in the larger pools. We have no problem catching them all summer here in Mid Missouri