Creek Chubs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TA2D, May 5, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Here are a couple of creek chubs and one green sunfish that have been sentenced to a life of bait!

Aaron

TA2D

Attached Files:

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Man yeah!

That's some bait right there. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow after my son's baseball game and catch some bait for the next weekend. Been working on a bait tank to keep 'em in.

Asked the wife if she didn't think our new flower beds needed a pond or fountain. She agreed, then saw the grin on my face and knew I was thinking "bait tank". May place a below-ground pond/fountain in the front yard now.

I see that you, too, catch chubs on a hook, my 6-year old uses a 2' cane pole to do it. Much fun. Can't get them in a minnow trap or umbrella net.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a creek where i can get up to 12inch chubs, some as big around as a beer bottle. best thing ive found to get them is to use a crappie jig, preferably a "popeye" jig, and work that thing just like you do for panfish. i'll tip it with a waxworm but if it gets stolen they will still hit the popeye, sometimes i dont even bother with a waxworm when they are really aggressive. those boogers are just as agressive as a smallie. small spinners and twistertails work as well.

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    All of those were caught on corn, I have caught over a dozen before on one small section of night crawler!

Aaron

TA2D

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I caught most all my creek chubs on corn last year, worms work good too

6. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just love them chubs for bait, I use worms also,even had em hit dry hooks,fun to catch.Keep em in a very large bait tank in the basement.Makes the house smell like a bait shop,but the dog does't mind, me I like the smell.Keep a sceen over your tank them chubs can really jump,came home after work one day and found half dozen on the floor....uscat turney may 20 in st joe, hope to fish in this one...ur humble servant beartrap:lol:

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    those are some great chubs,i have a couple of creeks near me that have about the same sized ones in it

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Creek chubs make great live and cut bait. Whichever you prefer.

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a couple of streams and creeks around me that produce some big chubs, my biggest was just over 11 inches! I have also caught small walleye/sauger and small largemouth in the same streams!

Aaron

TA2D

10. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My favorite creek is filled with them, I've also gotten some about 11" or so big, when they get big like that, they get some pink colors on them and look like defunct rainbow trout haha. I keep quite a few out of there because they really compete with the smallmouth for food and there's not many cats left in that creek to help downsize the bigger chub population because these people that live up the creek in this camp have catfished the living he11 out of the creek and kept everything they catch. Used to catch tons of channels in the 2-10lb range out of there, but in the last 3 years I've caught 1 and fished for them about 20 times. Smallmouth population is also on decline a little bit:angry:

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

TA2D it's good to see the creeks still supporting some big chubs. Your pictures are making me home sick. It's been 105 or so here for the past two weeks. 3 months left, can't wait. Later

SudDawg

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I've just bout a house with about 100 yards of creek running behind it. It's a small creek, about 12" - 24" across in places, and I've been wondering if I could widen out a few holes in it and stock it with creek chubs, although I think that I saw one in it this morning. Does this sound possible?

13. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would try your luck first, maybe you could dam a section or two to make some holes.

Aaron

TA2D

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I just use a good old fashion cast net...LMAO

15. treddinwater

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Be careful if your going to widen or dam that creek, you will most likely have to go through some zoning stuff first. If I were you, I'd walk the creek and see if you can't catch some right now, I know of a drainage ditch that has them in it, I don't know how they got there or what feeds it, but they are there. The widest part is like 7 feet across and about 3ft deep.