Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught some 4" to 5" chubs to fish for channel cats tonight at the lake. How do you guys fish them whole or cut? Most fish we catch are 2 to 5 pounds but there's always the chance of a bigger one. Any tips on how to use them? Thanks

G

·
You can using them live or cut both work great. You can cut them into "steaks", fillets, or use the whole fish with gut section cut or "butterfly" the sides of the fish. Some nights the channels just want the head section,gut or tail. If no luck with chubs try big lake shiners, fallfish(if around your area), or suckers. Dont be afraid of beefing up the cut bait.:biggrin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we fished last nite and got skunked. It was a small tournament and no one was doin any good. I guess the front that came through friday nite messed up the fishin for a while. Maybe next time the fish will be more active. I can't wait to use those chubs again when they're bitin. Thanks for the tips!

David

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I started using them last year and really did well with them..All the ways listed I've used..Probably the best way that worked for me was to scale it and put it on whole..I hook it through the eye and thread the hook through the body and out the back of the gut pocket..Another thing I liked to do is cut off the head and use the head..If fishing in a current then filet the sides and it'll give it a good fluttering action in the current..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.