Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody help me, what is a creek chub? Somebody got a picture of one? We may have them here in southeast missouri and just call them something else. Have heard on here and have read that they are good flathead bait.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Fish Fish Magur Underwater Marine biology

heres a pic of a common creek chub.

the adults are from 4 to 8 inches long sometimes as big as 12 inches, usually as wide and thick bodied as they are tall, many close relatives to creek chubs that are often refered to as creek chubs even though they are not. these sweet little flattie baits can be trapped,seined,and caught on hook and line as long as legal where your at, they pretty much resemble a fat, big, minnow. One of my favorite baits! more info you probably don't want: they spawn when water temp hits 55 degrees and the male will change color to a brighter color during spawn, some folks eat these little fish and say they are excellent, I have no clue. they eat small bugs and larvae in the smaller streams and creeks they like to habitat, they prefer rocky gravelly bottoms and clear water. A tiny size trout hook like a #16 to 20 baitholder with a single salmon egg on it and a tiny ice fishing size bober above it drifted through holes and riffles on the stream will drive these little baits wild,and it won't take long to catch a nights bait once you find a good hole.
You should definatly have them in southwest mo. pollution is hard on them so look for cleaner streams.

· Registered
943 Posts
The chubs or what we call creek chubs have a squarer body and some small "horns" on top behind the mouth. Bigger ones of 6+" can be caught on size 8, 6 or 4 with a little chunk of worm, bacon etc mostly on the bottom though. Ours kinda resemble a small/baby sucker? They get up to about 10"-12" as far as I know? We have one creek really loaded with them and right under a big "rapids" we can catch enough for some setlines or a nights rod and reeling in less then an hour. Voracious feeders. Cane pole with no weight etc is alot of fun. We've filleted a few bigger ones and dressed a few whole, fried they arent bad, remind me of the spring trout some prize. Fish traps/baskets baited and set right on the bottom really fill up if these are around. Cutbait or fished live they are good either way for blues, channels and snappers. Flats really like them alive. Neighbor at the cabins fish's them almost exclusively alive for flats. We like bluegill and bullehads better. But if we cant or dont have the time to get those two we'll use creekchubs.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
View attachment 110764

heres a pic of a common creek chub.

the adults are from 4 to 8 inches long sometimes as big as 12 inches, usually as wide and thick bodied as they are tall, many close relatives to creek chubs that are often refered to as creek chubs even though they are not. these sweet little flattie baits can be trapped,seined,and caught on hook and line as long as legal where your at, they pretty much resemble a fat, big, minnow. One of my favorite baits! more info you probably don't want: they spawn when water temp hits 55 degrees and the male will change color to a brighter color during spawn, some folks eat these little fish and say they are excellent, I have no clue. they eat small bugs and larvae in the smaller streams and creeks they like to habitat, they prefer rocky gravelly bottoms and clear water. A tiny size trout hook like a #16 to 20 baitholder with a single salmon egg on it and a tiny ice fishing size bober above it drifted through holes and riffles on the stream will drive these little baits wild,and it won't take long to catch a nights bait once you find a good hole.
You should definatly have them in southwest mo. pollution is hard on them so look for cleaner streams.
the ones don posted here i have caught in missouri very ofton. always hang around brush and fight for the worms like the bluegills do. i live in central mo.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
those ones with the horns are chubs too just a different kind and I can't remember the name. Many creek dwelling fish get bumps on top their heads espesially around spawning time, they develop these to help protect their head from shoving around gravel and small rocks while making nest sights, pretty cool how nature provides a tool where needed for the critters.

· Registered
460 Posts
Thats a female creek chubs.The ones with horns are the spawning males.They wont have them horns after June in my area.The females dont get near as big as the males.

Creek Chubs can swim better in heavy current because of their Body shape.And they also put of more vibration in the water than panfish.They are very sensitive to water change so make sure you put about 30-40% lake/river water in your bait bucket so they can live longer in the water.I have set limblines in the past and had them still alive kicking good when i checked them in the morning.

· Banned
750 Posts
those ones with the horns are chubs too just a different kind and I can't remember the name. Many creek dwelling fish get bumps on top their heads espesially around spawning time, they develop these to help protect their head from shoving around gravel and small rocks while making nest sights, pretty cool how nature provides a tool where needed for the critters.
I believe they are actually called horneyhead chubs

· Registered
1,149 Posts
I believe they are actually called horneyhead chubs
That was my thought too...although I think all species of chubs (at least the ones I know of - creek chubs, river chubs, hornyhead chubs) get the horns (breeding tubercles) during the spawn. Creek chubs will have that black spot on the lower front portion of the dorsal fin like you can see in one of those pictures (I think the second one posted). Don't know if someone mentioned this already, but bee moths work great to catch chubs too.

Reactions: JoeDaCatKing
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.