Creek Chubs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catfish_Scooter, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just would like to get a member review on how well creek chubs have done for you and were they live or dead? Me and a buddy have fished with them I had some strikes hes caught several 2-5 lbers. Although they were dead. Lets see some replies. Thanks.:wink:

2. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    My primary bait is shad and sucker, but I always ensure that everytime i go fishing i have plenty of creek chubs. I am surrounded by waters full of them and they are very easy to catch. Most of the time when I am using these guys they are fished live. I like to put them in a small bucket with alot of oxygen being pumped into it to keep them real active while on the hook.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I prefer them alive in the 6" or larger range, but they can be very effective dead and/or frozen just as well. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

4. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i like using creek chubs,they are awsome alive,but if they die you have one of the best baits for channels and blues,around here anyway.my nephew got his pb blue,24 pounds on a creek chub.we were flathead fishing and his chub died and then he got it.i believe he was 11 at the time,one of my best memories catfishing

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I've had great luck with chubs, mostly in the 6-8 inch range because thats mostly what I can catch. Used live or cut, I've had equal success. Mostly blues, but every now and again a flat will pick one up. And as far as sizes, anywhere from eaters to one I wish I had gotten the opportunity to see. I always kept them fresh and lively in the livewell right up until I hooked'em up.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i like creek chubs but the problem is everything else likes them too! I have caught 20 pound flatheads on them and also 5 pound smallmouth while fishing for cats. I do well with them for channels cut up in the winter and spring, but on the gmr creek chub= turtles:smile2:

7. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep dead baits, really entice those ugly snappers LOL!

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I'm the one AJ's talking about..I've been going down to the creek by my house to catch them in the cast net..I haven't really caught any of them bigger than 4"..I also have had a hard time keeping them alive..Have been catching more and more shiners though and have caught some of them 6" and up..I've been putting all of them in a plastic bag and put them on ice..I hook them through the eye with my hook and kinda thread it on like you would a worm and push the point through the belly..If you cut open the gut you'll get a good idea of why channels love them so much,they reek something fierce..

9. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    :smile2: Yep thats a FACT!

10. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I love using chubs cut, caught lots of big fish on them in the spring

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I get most of my big chubs 6 to 11 inchs out of the bigger holes in lil creeks with a ol lil hook and bobber. They a good bait on the MO river for cats and the odd hybrid striper.

12. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Great bait for all types of cats.I like alive and dead ..but if dead they need to be kept cold and fresh for best results.. imo :big_smile:

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Great bait, alive, dead, or cut

14. festus

festus New Member

I'm blessed with a chub and shiner hole in my back yard. This creek is between 15' and 20' wide and the water comes straight off the top of the mountain in the background. It is about 5' 9" deep at the deepest (red spot). At the yellow spot, there's a big submerged flat rock where the water drops from about a foot deep to about 4' deep. Plenty of creek and horneyhead chubs up to 7" and common shiners about the same size up and downstream for miles. Also have redhorse suckers, redbreast sunfish, and a few of the dreaded pest, largemouth bass. The water is a little nasty looking in the photos from the rain.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    I hate to be pesty, but if it was possible could you or Les when yall restocked sale me a couple bags of chubs? I recently bought a castnet to get gills, threadfins, and gizzards but I was wandering about the chubs. If you can plz send me a PM with details. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll get you some AJ no problem...I gave James a bag of them last week..We'll hook up sometime next weekend and I'll give you some..

17. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Alright sweet bro, just give me a timeframe. Thanks so much.

18. festus

festus New Member

A.J., we might have to leave that up to Les because I'm so far away, LOL. I would let you come catch all you need in traps or hook and line, but I'm probably 4 hours away! But I know that little creek that runs right through the middle of Hartsville has plenty of minnows in it. Once I was standing on a bridge downtown next to an auto parts store and happened to look down into the water and was amazed to see suckers spawning up to 14" to 16" long. I think that's Little Goose Creek. Some silly old man walked up to me and tried to tell me they were trout. :smile2:

I have heard of people salting chubs for preservation, but usually easy enough for me to come by I haven't froze or salted any. The river systems in my area have gobs of creek chubs, shiners, and redhorses. Every now and then when I fish for chubs I'll hook up with a big redhorse about 18" long. I had one to hit a grasshopper imitation on a fly rod one time, dern thing jumped out of the water like a trout. I think that sucker thought he was a trout.

19. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    :smile2: