Creek chubs...how should i use them?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BigCat4, Aug 10, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    Ok i was wondering if i should use live creek chubs for bait tonight or cut them up and if i did use them live how would i hook them i'm new to big catfishing...

Thanks,
    Travis O.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

try them both ways. the catfish will tell you what they want. I would use the same rig for both with the live rig having a heavier weight. a carolina rig. weight, swivel,leader and hook. 1 ounce weight for cut 2-4 ounce for live depending on the size of the bait.

3. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    ok thnx man and

4. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    ok thnx man and on

5. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    ok thnx man and on the cut bait should i throw it to the current i heard it carrys the blood sent farther if its in the current

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

IF your fishing in a river try to cast right at the edge of the moving water and slack water near some structure if there is any. if no sturcture the placment will be the same. try not to overcast the fish right now the fish I catch at night have been shallow and feeding during the day deeper but still in casting range from the bank.

7. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    well me and my dad go to this dam and theres this wall where u can sit and fish and my told me he used to go there when he was a younger and sell about 5 blue gill for 1 $ to this old guy that would stay all night and next morning he'd have a montser blue or flathead cat so i figured i'd trie it there and is the channel like where the barges rune a good place to throw the bait at??

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

use the past as a prolouge brother. If big fish have been there in the past they most likely will be there in the future unless pollution are lack of food has run them out.

9. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    TRy usin the chubs live and if they die what i like to do is step on them till thier guts pop out.

10. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i would use them live first and the way i hook them (and seem to live for awhile like this) hook them threw the upper lip where it is alot of bone or grisswl and stay on hook good for me

11. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    use them as cutbait or chum,..... when we go catfishn up here in pa we make a frozen chum outta cutbait leftover shrimp shells,, chicken liver and whatever else we feel like,,, brings them in every time

12. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    thanks all we i\ended up not going bcuz it rained right after we got the chubs

13. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    as i put in my last pose never hook a fish through anything but the back it looks to fake and to answer you question i just hook them throgh the back they will stay alive for a while