Creek chubs for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by MoHunt, Jan 18, 2010.

1. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    My brother lives near Springfield, MO and fishes the Niangua River for goggle eye and trout and he's catching these 8 - 9" creek chubs he calls them. Since I've been reading about the scarcity of bait, anyone ever used creek chubs for bait and how'd they do?

Seems a shame to waste such a nice size bait.

2. They are excellent baits, especially if ya pop thier gut out or stomp them on the ground then hookem. Caught many a big flathead and channels on them.

3. bobbybobber

bobbybobber New Member

State:
    wv
    creek chubs are great bait

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    8-9 inch creek chubs are awsome bait alive for blues and flats. Or chunk and freeze for blues --tell him to catch ya all he can chunk in 2 inch chunks and freeze em pronto for spring. The channel cats and blues will hammer the heck out of it anywhere. Smaller chubs 6 to 4 inchs are awsome bait for all fish I have tore up the big hybrids below bagnel with em head hooked on a jighead and bottom bouncen em. Cats, hybrids and some big green carp to boot. If ya brother is trout fishen tell him to take a 10lb or 12 lb test basss rig and clip a 6 inch chubs fins tail hook and add some split shot 2 ft ahead of it and drift it down in front of log jambs. I used to do it above scott ford on the merimac and nailed some huge brown trout and channel cats and a 20lb flathead one time. Not to mention tons of smallmouth bass.

5. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks to all the replys. Called him to pass on this good advice, and he's already ran em whole through a meat grinder to use for chum! Might not be a bad idea.

Says they're in the Niangua by the thousands...but, yeah there's always that but, now he's not positive they're creek chubs, might be shiners. Says these are 8 to 9" long and kinda round. He sent me a picture, but mail.com's having some maintainence problems and I can't log onto my email to get a pitcher. Even if I get into my email, not sure I'm savy enough to post pictures here. I googled shiners and seems they are only 4-6" long, so as of right now, he's not quite sure what he's catching. But, yeah another but, he's going back tomorrow and catch a bunch more, so whatever he's catching, he's gonna have a bunch of em, and I always go fishing with him.

Thanks again guys...dang bunch of good people here.

6. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    When I was growing up fishing with my Dad,brothers and uncles,chubs, liver and nottie heads was about all we used for catfish

7. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have not seen any chubs or nottie heads,since I've lived in oklahoma.

8. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    them nottie heads are some type of sucker fish I THINK?

9. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tried to post picture he emailed me, but alas, it's computer 1, MoHunt 0.

Anyways, he thinks he identified what he's catching. At least one is a Horny Head Chub, the majority are Central Stonerollers.

Whatever they are, I figger if they swim in water, a catfish will eat em!

10. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Yup, they are great. Cut or live.

11. bobbybobber

bobbybobber New Member

State:
    wv
    if it swims it's bait to me,i have used shad, blue gills,chubs,carp,bass,trout,crappie,eel,frogs,crayfish,bluefish,mackel and small turtles for bait and they all worked

12. festus

festus New Member

Creek chubs are great baits either cut or whole. It's best to leave some guts hanging out. I have cut off the tail, then cut the remainder of the bait in the middle and have two baits. Then the larger ones can be cut crosswise into 3/4" steaks.

There used to be a peggled man who fished a steam plant in my area. He would drive 40 miles out of the way to catch creek chubs as catfish bait. He could have very easily taken a cast net within a few yard of his fishing hole and caught skipjacks or shad, but he snubbed his nose at those and stuck with the cut chubs.

13. Tanner L

Tanner L New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ya i have back in Kansas. We used em in lakes, rivers, ponds, and in dam spillways. They are one of the top flathead bait with small bullhead and bluegill. They dont live to long, like a shad, but if u hook them towards the tail or right behind the meat of the top body fins, they shld last more than long enough to catch a fish.

14. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I found a little stream up here that is full of chubs and they are good for catching cats, although I think the cut sucker up here may be a bit better. The good part is that in 10 minutes, I can catch enough chubs for a whole night and might have a few left over. I just use my bait rod and lower a little piece of worm over the side of the bridge.

15. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i have used creek chubs several several times and they are great bait!!! hell my cat even likes em. she was getting em outta my bait tank last year. little suckers are fun to catch to.