creek chubs any good?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by littlebigman, Feb 7, 2009.

1. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    are creek chubs any good for catfish. i use them for sauger fishing but was just wondering if they work for catfish.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my book they're the best Forrest. Dead or alive. Of course I like them to be alive though. If they do die on you try and keep them cool. :wink:

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Creek chubs are an excellent source of cat bait. I catch channels and flats on them.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Sir, have to agree with both, great bait to have.

5. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What are they and where do you get them?

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Teri, they're a minnow that can get several inches long and they generally live in creeks. They're also excellent baitfish for alot of game fish, they're just generally not too hardy and usually won't stay alive too long on the hook like a bluegill will, but they are hardier than shad. Hope this helps.

7. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    they are like a minnow but they are in creeks, and i catch them in a minnow trap i bought from walmart.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are one of my favorite baits as well. A 6 or 8 inch, live creek chub is deadly for big flatheads and channel cats...rollo

9. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I call em suckers the ones I've been using the last year or so are like the white sucker (picture attached)

As said they are found in small creeks and in pools under road crossings.

I fish for em same as perch with ultralight with 1/4" pinch of crawler small bobber and hook slow reeling close to bottom.I've caught em up to 8"-10" but put them back and use 4"-5" .

Great fighters and bait I might add.

Attached Files:

10. trellon

trellon New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you can also get them in a cast net its a little tricky but it does work.

11. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Welcome to the boc!

What types of waters do you find em in?

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A 1\4 bar mesh cast net works great just make shure it leagle to use. I got some holes one good cast and I got bait for all night.

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you want to have some fun, take you ultralite rod and reel, can of worms and catch your chubs. Grandkids love doing this and I get catfish bait.

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I agree with Rollo, and "they will" stay alive for long periods of time, I have kept them alive in my bait tank for over a month and on the hook for several hours.....one of the more active fish you will find with a hook in them:wink:

15. FishinGuy

FishinGuy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh)
    creek chubs are great cat bait alive for flats, dead or cut for channels. my biggest flat to date was on about a 3 or 3 1/2 chub. but im not the most experienced flat fisherman. there is a difference between suckers and creek chubs, totally different mouth and scales. i catch mine in a creek about fifteen feet wide with a minnow trap and any type of bread. there tends to be more of them in holes and slow moving water. are there any creek chubs living in the three rivers???? or just in their tribs?

16. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I too consider them the best dead or alive. I live in an area where shad aren't available because our genius game and park people won't let us use throw nets to catch them but when a alke gets over populated with shad they will kill the lake out and start over. The problem with chubs is the cost. 50 cents to a dollar each. If you have a creek nearby buy yourself a seine and try catching them yourself.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    creek chubs are a good bait here to and i have good luck keeping them alive by adding a little ice to the water to keep it cool.i also use a little aireatoror to help with keeping oxygen in the water.

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That my friend is a sucker, or a sucker chub. I'd imagine if it's not a plain old sucker it's a cross between the 2. we have them here too. here's a common chub.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cree...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Attached Files:

19. gary_allen_85

gary_allen_85 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i also think creek chubs are really great baits i just went today and caught around 60, i usally freeze them before going fishing the larger ones i fillet a side of of them and use that fillet

20. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Maybe my favorite bait for big shovelheads.