creek chub

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by littlebigman, Feb 28, 2009.

1. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    hey everbody i was just wondering if any one on here uses a rod and reel to catch creek chubs and how they rig up. i use a minnow trap and catch lots of them.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use a lot of chubs for flatheads. I use my perch trap also I take my grandkids with ultralite rod and worms. Use a small hook a dab of worm and they have a ball and I get catfish bait.
    You also have quality time with the kids.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i use pieces of crawler or meal worms.

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i use pieces of crawler or meal worms.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i use pieces of crawler or mealworms.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    My fellow bridge bro uses a tiny peice of a small worm with a 1/64 jig head, same as we catch gills but a good trick if it's legal where you are is to for example take some sort of plastic box like a tackle box or sumthin tie it to a rope and drill a bunch of tiny holes in it and fill it with bread, dogfood, crackers... and watch the frenzy happen:wink:..... They will jump all over anything in thier face!

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They are absolutely nutz for beemoth and cataulpa worms too.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Duplicate. please delete.........

9. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a process for catching chube and this by far will work the best. First no white clothing and stay as far as possible from the water. Now cast with a small hook and a piece of night crawler. Repeat until bite simmers down. Now switch to wax worm. No weight is required at this time. Fish wax worm until no bites. Now repeat the same processes until with a small split shot until you have cought all the bigger chubs. The main thing is not to spook them. I guarentee this will work better than anything else you do.:wink:

10. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I use an ultra light, five and a half foot rod. With four to six pound test. And a small split shot six to eight inches above a #10-#14, light wire hook. If you wan to catch suckers too use a #14 light wire hook, because of the suckers very small mouths. (Bronze hooks work best for all situations.) The best bait is wax worms (for chubs and suckers of all sizes), crickets (for chubs of all sizes and medium to large suckers). You buy these baits at your local pet shop.

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    like flathead steve said it's just like fishing for bluegill. you have to find a hole that you know has chubs in it. i use light line, light rod, tiny hook with a small weight to let it sink to the bottom. You need to feel everything. if something's too heavy it'll be hard to tell that some of the chubs are biting. other than that, i use a half inch slice of night crawler or meal worm and wait.

12. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Around this area the best bait I have found for chubs and knotty heads and such is plain whole kernel sweet corn. Its cheap and even a small can will catch you all the bait you need. You might even catch the occasional trout depending on the stream.

13. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for all the info, next time i go to the bait shop ill pick up some bait and try it out.